Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Magnepan MMG

Your response to Charles contains a valid approach, but it caused me to go back to his original request which I've excerpted below,

"I am not looking to spend a lot of money on speakers. (I've already done enough of that in the past) I am looking at the MMGs due to size of speaker, budget, and room size. I am not looking to upgrade in the future - I simply want to buy a pair of speakers and be happy with them."

It seems he's not interested in an upgrade path and the need to spend a lot of money on such things as an active crossover and additional amplification. Maybe he will catch the 'bug' once he sees what the Maggies are capable of, but it sounds initially that he's really looking for a 'plug and play' solution. His budget and technical skills may not even permit him to consider mods for a passive crossover. And, if he screws up the crossover, he may have no speakers at all!

Consequently, my recomendation to Charles is to buy the MMGs and enjoy them as is until he decides that he has a combination of the funds, skills, and interest to go farther. Given their sound once broken in, he may be perfectly happy to leave them as is, which after all would not be such a terrible thing:)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.