Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Andy, same question w/ an added question or 2...

Hi Jon,

I know it's hard to believe but, yes, using Mye stands or braced equivalents DOES make a significant difference. Both "dynamicity" (I invented that word because "dynamic" actually has a slightly different meaning ... anyway "punchiness" is an equivalent term! :-)) ) and soundstage benefit.

I think the reason for this is founded in Newton's Law (for every action ... etc.). With the normal wimpy Maggie feet, the panel can sway backwards and forwards. Bolting them to a heavy steel base reduces this movement considerably but they can still react minutely when they produce, say, a drum strike. When braces are added, the frames have no way of going backwards when they produce the drum strike, so you get the full percussive impact coming from the mylar.

And I suspect soundstage benefits because this is influenced by micro movements of the mylar and the fact that the frame is now rigid means all these micro vibrations can be faithfully delivered by the mylar panel.

The same thing happens if you do my "replace the staples with some steel angle-iron trick" and bolt the driver assembly firmly to the MDF frame. Both I and some friends who know my system well agree that this made them much more dynamic, when I did this mod. (But it won't do anything unless the MDF frames are firmly held, in braced stands).

Go for the Mye stands! It will make your 1.6s sound much better!

Regards,

Andy

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.