Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Hookup suggestions

I assume that you're trying the zero's to present a higher impedence to your amp. The subwoofers that accept input from the amplifier terminals present a high impedence to the amplifier, so they can be attached to the same amplifier outputs as your speakers.

I read your message to say that you're using the Outlaw bass management module to manage the frequencies fed to the speakers? I don't know this unit. Does it allow you to treat your Maggies as full-range? If so, that's how I'd run them.

If your sub has the controls that allow it, then you can fill in from the bottom up, starting with the lowest frequency cutoff that you can and raising it only after listening to a variety of bass-heavy source material. The trick is to get the mesh right between the sub and your Maggies. I found that speaker positioning was more than half the game in accomplishing this and getting a smooth meld. Most rooms will have stronger/weaker bass modes. It's useful to identify them and use them to accent or ameliorate the bass augmentation as necessary.

I found the Rives CD (available on the Rives site) very helpful in accomplishing this. It's calibrated to work with a Ratshack sound pressure meter. You can play test tones and measure with/without the sub, and in different positions which will give you a lot of ammunition for getting the best match.

Hope this helps!

Frank

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Hookup suggestions - CometCKO 14:25:40 11/16/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.