Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Amplifier Question

I agree with GL- 300 into 4 should suffice well, especially with a quality amp like yours. But I wouldn't totally rule it out. How loud are your listening levels when this happens? Are you listening to vinyl- tracking error?

I've had a similar sound such as you are describing happen to me when I switched from MMGs to IIIAs. The true ribbon will let you know when it doesn't like something upstream. I had been using an Adcom GFA-555II, and it worked fine with the MMGs but not the 3s. This amp pushes 325 watts into 4 ohms, so I didn't suspect it as being the cause for the distortion. It definitely was. I installed a Hafler DH-200 amp into the system, and the etchy glaring ceased completely. The Hafler is rated for half the wattage of the Adcom- go figure. Quality, high current power as matters. I have an amp now that will not clip short of blowing my ears off.

Borrow another amp (does the MF have pre-outs?) and try this out if at all possible. Do some brainstorming, and try to figure out the exact conditions when this is happening.

Cory

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Amplifier Question - Cory M. 19:02:16 11/11/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.