Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Driving 20.1's with Brystons

The Bryston can drive the 20.1's -- the question is this optimal and I believe the the answer is probably no (disclaimer: I don't own 20.1's). Also Magnepan has always designed their top-of-the-line models to be biamped and the 20.1 is no exception. Even if the amplifer is up to the task, biamping will be better (assuming equal quality amplifiers).

I would recommend active biamping rather than bridging two 4B SST's for the following reasons:
1) The cost of an active crossover is minimal (about another $500) compared to what you have put in (cost of 20.1's and two amps - estimate >$15000)
2) there are big advantages to replacing the original crossover, connectors and fuses and building a new passive crossover will exceed the cost of the active crossover
3) IMO an active line level crossover is always better than a passive speaker level crossover (especially with Maggies) and
4) when you bridge a stereo amplifier you double the effective lowest impedance that it can tolerate (where 4BSTT in stereo mode can handle a 2 ohm impedance, in bridged mono mode, the lowest it will go is 4 ohms and that may be pushing it with the Maggies).

I may be an egoist but at least I don't talk about other people.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Driving 20.1's with Brystons - neolith 13:41:03 11/06/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.