Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Bad Week 10-15, Good Week 25+

Exactly, except you put it much more succinctly. It's almost a mission to bring HiFi to my friends, so that they can enjoy listening to music even more. I get so much enjoyment out of it, and it's one of the few things that never fail me! I do use an iPod, out and about with headphones, but mostly in the car, where the background noise precludes the need for really excellent sound. But at home, I tried to play it through various different equipment and it almost uniformly sounds dithered and weak- and I try to use the higher 192khz bit rate when ripping discs. Through headphones, maybe, but not through Krell and Martin Logan's or Quad's! Although I have noticed that there are now several new pieces of interface/amp gear aimed at iPods that use tube circuitry (surprise) to take the rattle and buzz off the sound. Cute stuff- I'm a sucker for blue LED's- but I doubt they can make up for the essential underlying lack of information in the mp3 stream.

I find that I can buy incredibly sweet-sounding components for under that magic $2-3,000 price ceiling- which you'll notice in my Inmate Systems. And so many people around here mention their extensive experience with equipment and sometimes it does lead to purchases- like my Audible Illusions Mod 3a pre. I tend to buy almost all of my gear used. Thank God for ebay and A-gon! I let others pay down the primary depreciation for me.

The only thing I really haven't done yet is compare my "classic gear" to todays' equivalent stuff. I would love to audition some Pass Lab amps against my older classic Threshold amps. I'd bet the new stuff don't sound 10 times better.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Bad Week 10-15, Good Week 25+ - TubeHeadSeth 12:23:24 11/06/06 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.