Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

line array - use single tweeter? Any 1st hand experience?

I am planing to build a line array using 8 X Audax HM130Z12s but can't decide between a line array of 16 tweeters or just a single tweeter at ear height.

The advantage of the single tweeter is that I can make the box that much narrower (asuming I use a box, not a dipole) for better imaging and secondly that I can avoid possible combing effects from the tweeters. And imaging is very important to me. I will crossover at around 2.8Khz with the line source tweeters or maybe as high as 3.5 KHz with a single tweeter.

My main question is how important is the spacial information in the 3.5KHz up region compared to the below 3.5KHz region? Will I get confused messages using a point source tweeter in the middle of an array 1.3 metres high or am I sufficiently past the region of most critical imaging?

The second question is egarding experience with combing. The tweeters I would use are only 1" domes which can be spaced as close as 2.5" apart. Thats still way more than 1/4 wavelength at 10 KHz though.
on the other hand they are not a point source - each dome will cover approx 1/2 the distance to the next tweeter which should give quite a lot of fudge factor. Will that avoid comb effects? (I would like to avoid drilling 32 holes just to find this out when someone here may have done all this already!)

Now to save you all sending me messages about the problems I already know about I have the obvious ones covered:

a. I know the line of mid/bass drivers will only balance with the tweeter output at one fixed distance - that's fine - the system is just for me and I have a CLIO to easily make the setup measurements "in room" and from my listening postiion.
b. The impedance and efficiency issues are not a problem as the tweeter I will use (if a single) is way more efficient that the mid/bass drivers so I have room to pad it to whatever I need.
c. Whichever box I use will be augumented below 100Hz (but not rolled off!) by an active woofer with EQs to match my room so the sub 100Hz bass is not an issue.
d. Cost is not an issue as I have already bought the 32 audax Ti tweeters needed so if I do opt for the single tweeter it will not save me anything.
e. If I do got for a linesource of tweeters I could space then equidistantly (but still as close as possible) to avoid highlighting any particular frequency nodes.

Any help from people with first hand experience in this stuff would be greatly appreciated.

John Corneille

(PS I have also posted this on the regular speaker forum as I will no doubt be talking to converted dipole enthusiasts on this forum and need a balanced opinion/feedback.)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - line array - use single tweeter? Any 1st hand experience? - topogon 22:21:57 11/05/06 (22)

You can not post to an archived thread.