Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

easy answer: I dunno

both planars and ESL's tend to be very revealing. Which means you're pretty much at the mercy of the recording engineer of each artist. There's no 'blanket' statement regarding which (if any)speaker is right for you without an audition. ESL's have lighting fast transients and generally are described as being 'light and airy'. Great for a Joan Biaz, maybe not so great for a Hendrix (hey; no flames puh-leez!). My point being if Hendrix were alive today he'd probally be the last one to describe his music as 'light and airy' (although cuts like 'little wing', 'pali gap' et al would definetly qualify).But don't get me wrong, if someone were to drop a set of Sound labs in my lap I'd jam Hendrix day and night; efin'A!

Planars IMO tend to be a bit more 'viscous' than ESL's, quick, but not as fast as ESL's.

House thumpin' bass you're not going to get from either one. A hybrid might be in order for you (ET's, Martin Logans etc.)or seperate subwoofer(s) with Magnepans,if that's what you're looking for.

Jazz and classical disc are a 'generally' well recorded medium meaning they're not catered to the mass market and airwaves.'Most' pop and rock tend to have 'compressed' dynamics (specifically pop recordings) sutable for the limited dynamics in airwaves; no problem for some, distasteful to others through certain speakers.

Best advice of course is to audition both. If not possible certain manufacturers have unbeatable trial options.
good luck-GL

____________//________________

listen

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • easy answer: I dunno - Green Lantern 01:24:22 09/10/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.