Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Try this simple trick w/ your Maggies

If you've got a couple of small bags of lead shot or sand, you might want to try this to see if you like it. I took two flat lead shot bags (5 lb. each) and perched one on the top edge of each of my 3.6's (factory feet, on carpet). Not an earth-shattering difference, but one I appreciated more and more as I listened to a variety of recordings. There also seemed to be a slightly different effect depending on where the bag was placed. I would only try this on Maggies that are straight up, rather than being tilted back. I have purposely not included any highly specific descriptions of the changes I noticed so as not to bias anyone beforehand (tell me I'm not imagining things). But you've got to admit that those big, flat speakers appear inclined to vibrate, hence the variety of structural mods.

In order to continue this experiment, I've ordered four 25 lb. bags of lead shot (McMaster-Carr). Just kidding, of course. But I am going to use the big bags to weight some highly rigid spiked feet I am going to build. It will be interesting to see what the new feet do, with and without the little bag of shot on the top edge of each speaker.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Topic - Try this simple trick w/ your Maggies - YRY 18:44:36 09/04/01 (8)

You can not post to an archived thread.