Home K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share youe ideas and experiences.

RE: Single stage DHT headphone amp

Sorry if I misconstrued your words or misunderstood Doug. It has been a long time since I last messaged you and I might have mentioned using a phono stage that only output ~1v with my cartridge. But I'm using only digital with headphones now. This is Deepak from that other headphone forum :-)

There is one more tube I am going to look into; a DHP wired in triode, 4p1l and I see that Kevin has done some experimenting with it in a preamp, so maybe he will chime in. It also ticks off my other requirements like low filament requirement and a plate voltage that will not be too difficult to use with a CCS. I'm trying to figure out the Rp with the filaments starved. At minimum I want to use 3x Rp for the transformer primary, and ideally 5x.

I'm not dogmatic about only using DHTs for the sake of using them. But I did like the sound of the well engineered DHT headphone and speaker amps I've heard. I have a Bottlehead Crack with the CCS add on, and it's a nice sounding amp, but a bit too dry compared to the Balancing Act. And for my taste the Sennheisers need a little tonal color injected in them.

I suppose the only thing I don't want to do is build a wasteful high gain amp. Since the amp is for my personal use and it only needs to work with 2 headphones I can be specific with the design.

Edits: 08/25/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Single stage DHT headphone amp - hvbias 12:24:50 08/25/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.