Home K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share youe ideas and experiences.

RE: Single stage DHT headphone amp

Your DAC chip basically has the voltage you need, so you need to find a tube and transformer that balance each other and act as a buffer. I built such a thing years ago with output autoformers. Ignore the stuff in there on damping factor, etc. as it ignores the copper losses, etc.

26 has a very high rp and very low current, so you really need a very high plate load, and a very high primary to secondary ratio. However, you'll lose your voltage in the process making it a poor choice.

71a, which is what I used, may work better, though it is still not quite ideal. rp is ~2K and mu is 3. The LL1930 in parafeed configuration has a voltage ratio of 5.8:1. Used that way, you get a ~10K plate impedance. With a stepup on the input (maybe a LL1674 doing 1:4), you'll be OK, probably even after copper losses.

LL1660 for single feed is 4:1 which gets you ~5K on the plate which is OK and reduces the gain necessary from an input stepup so the LL1676 may work OK. However, recordings that are not red-lined will still be low, so the 1:4 input is still probably prudent as the 71a's mu of 3 will almost entirely be eaten up by the copper.

Probably the right way to do this is with something like the Emission's Labs 20A or 30A.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.