Home K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share youe ideas and experiences.

Summer projects

I've been busy with a couple of new projects this summer, both of which were begun earlier in the year.

The first of these is a new phono preamp (called the "Trio"), which will be offered as a kit. The Maxxed-Out Phono Preamp has become much more complicated to build in its latest revision (alas, the complication resulted in better sound), so I decided that a simpler phono preamp was needed that wouldn't sacrifice too much of that K&K Audio sound. The Trio uses three 6922 type tubes in a three stage configuration with split RIAA EQ. In order to minimize the number of coupling capacitors, the third stage is directly coupled to the second stage and the output transformer (LL1689) is series fed, eliminating the "parafeed" cap. To further remove capacitors from the circuit, the first two stages are operated LED (fixed) bias, removing the bypass capacitors. Good capacitors are expensive and my goal was to reduce the cost without reducing the sonic value. The plate load and the shunt regulator boards will be preassembled and tested to make success more attainable, as well. Both MM and MC cartridges will be accommodated in much the same way as they are in the Maxxed-Out Phono Preamp. The prototype is complete and I am very pleased with the way it sounds. I just need to get PC boards and chassis and it will be available. Stay tuned...

The other project I've been working on is a parallel single-ended 6C33C amplifier design. The topology is fundamentally the same as the stereo amplifier's described earlier this year, but with some interesting twists. More info will be available later, but suffice it to say that while the stereo SE 6C33C amp is a very fine performer, indeed, the parallel SE 6C33 monoblocks are just what my speakers needed to give the music the "bloom" and "grunt" that more closely resembles live, while treating the less descriptively masculine parts of the music with the delicacy they require.

I have also developed a monoblock version of the single output tube SE 6C33C amp and will be offering PC boards for input stage and power supply soon. (these boards could potentially be used for any amplifier design, not just 6C33C) I am not planning on offering chassis, but I could be convinced to do so....by orders for them.

Decidedly good stuff!

Kevin Carter
K&K Audio
www.kandkaudio.com

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Topic - Summer projects - KevinC 08:41:35 08/16/14 (5)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.