Home K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share youe ideas and experiences.

RE: Headphone amplifier - 6H30

The circuit with the 6N30P would be good for higher impedance headphones like the Sennheiser HD580/600/650, but not the ones you are considering. Bass damping will suffer under 100 ohms.

The potential problem with the solution recommended by your Norwegian forum colleagues is that of overall gain. Given a mu of 45 for the 6C45P, an LL1663 (24:1) will result in a gain of only about 5 or 6dB. However, if you use the preamplifier in the signal chain after the DAC, the gain not likely to be a problem. The LL1664 will result in somewhat higher gain, but wouldn't be quite as nice a load for the 6C45P with 10 ohm headphones.

There aren't many tubes that can be used in the fashion you describe and I can't recall one that would be better, although caution needs to be exercised with the 6C45P to avoid incipient oscillation. Liberal use of stopper resistors and ferrite beads and good layout will keep the RF stuff under control.

Kevin Carter
K&K Audio
www.kandkaudio.com

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.