Home K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share youe ideas and experiences.

determining voltage drop for K&K shunt regulators

Kevin... I've been reading your documentation on how to implement your shunt regulators. I understand how to determine setting the amperage in the CCS section in single ended, I think (refer to your plate curves and load lines, and calculate the max current swing from the op point, and add the current draw of the tube at idle, plus a reasonable engineering margin...say 10%). Hope I got that right.

You don't state much about how to pick the voltage to be dropped, but I think I know how to do it. Here's my take on how to determine the minimum: Refer to the curves and load lines again, and subtract the max swing voltage from the idle point, plus a reasonable margin. You can drop more if the capacity of the heat sinks allow. Is this correct?

My real questions regards the use of these in PP and differential stages. You state in your documentation that minimal regulation is desired. If I understand this correctly we are just regulating any imbalance of the tubes, so say for a 10% possible imbalance, regulate 10% of the B+ voltage and amperage. In my application I will have a differential power stage B+ 265V 140ma (both tubes), so if I parallel a CCS and one regulator (2 CCSs feeding one regulator stage), both set at 77ma (140ma tube draw, plus 14ma shunt) and drop...lets say 30V across the regulator (round number close 10% of 265) I would have 77ma X 30V across each CCS for 2.31 watts on each CCS heat sink. The regulator heat sink would have 265V @ 14ma across it for 3.71 watts. If this is correct looks like I could regulate my differential power stage (6P36S in triode mode).

twystd

Edits: 09/03/13

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - determining voltage drop for K&K shunt regulators - twystd 12:19:02 09/03/13 (4)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.