Home K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share youe ideas and experiences.

LL1623 for SET Headamp

Start with a disclaimer: yes there are high end ortho headphones that need @W into 38 ohms, highly inefficient but wonderful sound at safe listening levels.

So what a need is an SET output transformer for a 2A3 output stage

Ideally I would want 3k:38 ohms, high efficiency with low dcr loss on both the primary but mainly the secondary. Of course need inductance to bas, but with headphones details get lost with output transformers that have a lot of "loss".

To get to the point how would the LL1623 perform. If I wired 4x192:1 (only used one secondary) I would be pretty close to the 3k:38 (79:1 ratio. But I guess with C-cores one has to use a minimum of 2 secondaries. So what is I used two secandaries for a balanced output (I.e joined in the center at ground) what would my turns ratio be at that point?

Also open to any suggestion of other Lundhal Transformers that would get me close to a 3k:40 ratio without being oversized (ie maintaining detail) but still deliver a solid 6Vrms aross the load). My normal listening level with these 88db/mW headphones measure at 6VRM when I play a 1khz 0db tone without changing the volume level. IOW's my peak is 6*1.44= 8.6Vpk. So with a 75:1 ratio that's about a 150V swing acros the primary. My concern is mismatch and losing power and inductance without a specific 32-38 oh secondary.

Thanks

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Topic - LL1623 for SET Headamp - headphonefool 07:17:17 12/22/12 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.