Home K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share youe ideas and experiences.

Differential Headphone Amplifier schematic

Here is the schematic of the headphone amplifier. With the addition of some input switching it can be used as a preamplifier, as well. The overall gain is about 16dB as it is configured in the schematic. You can save some money by substituting the LL1689/PP (silicon iron core), but with some sacrifice of sound quality, of course. You can also use other input transformers like the LL1676 or LL1690 with very nearly identical results. I built the prototype in a Dyna FM-1 case with the Dyna power transformer (out of laziness). It is extremely quiet and has plenty of level for either my Sennheiser HD-600 or AKG K-271 headphones.

I will let some of the guys here who have heard this comment (if they see this post) , but I find it to be wonderfully transparent and dynamic.

With only the 6H30pi stage, the gain is woefully inadequate, so a direct-coupled input stage was necessary. To avoid the sonic evils of coupling caps, the two stages are directly coupled, but that requires some input stage plate voltage rebalancing as the input tubes are changed and perhaps as they age long term. I haven't found it necessary to make adjustments from month-to-month, so it appears not to be a big deal with good tubes.

Kevin Carter
K&K Audio
www.kandkaudio.com

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.