Home K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share youe ideas and experiences.

RE: A question on driving input transformers

Input transformers are not in and of themselves difficult to drive, rather as was previously described, it's the amplifier input resistance reflected back to the driving circuit that makes it a tougher load to drive. However, if you connect an input transformer to you SE amp, you can raise the value of the grid leak resistor substantially, because the secondary of the transformer is now providing a very low DC resistance path to ground for the input tube bias current. This will reduce the loading, if it needs to be reduced. However, I am with the previous responder in believing that this won't be an issue.

All circuits (and transformers) are band limited. A good transformer of the type you need should be capable of at least four decades or, most likely more, of bandwidth. With a reasonable source resistance (like 600ohms) the LL1676 is capable of 10Hz to 40KHz at +/- 0.5dB using it 1:4. Bandwidth at the high frequency end will likely be somewhat greater at 1:2.

Kevin Carter
K&K Audio
www.kandkaudio.com

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: A question on driving input transformers - KevinC 16:58:00 04/01/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.