Home K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share youe ideas and experiences.

Raven Capacitor and a General Querry on Education

1) I was looking at Lynn's Raven preamp circuit, trying to figure everything out. I think I understand most of it, but what is the purpose of the large capacitor between the centertap of the output primary coil and the junction of the two cathodes and their bias resistor? Wouldn't the circuit work without that cap?

I assume it would block DC between the plate supply and the cathode, but it would let AC signals through. Why would you want that, and why is the cap so big?

2) My more general querry is about education. I have a rudimentary understanding of simple tube circuits. I've built several amps using various tubes and 2 or 3 different topologies. I've read most of the articles in Sound Practices (I had a subscription!) and I've paged through parts of two books (Morgan Jones and Bruce Rozenblit).

Very few of these sources talk much about designing with coils (interstage transformers, chokes, etc.) and I would like to learn more. I read forums like this one and keep running into concepts and terms I don't understand. I could bother everyone by asking an endless series of questions, or, perhaps more productively, I can ask for some advice on what resources I should turn to next. Does anyone have suggestions on where a relative beginner can get an education about designing tube circuits with coils (books, webpages, etc.)?

Without at least some knowledge, I don't even know how to pick the most appropriate Lundahl product for my next project :) I could ask Keven, but I would prefer to ask him from a position of basic knowledge rather than just having him pick something for me.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Raven Capacitor and a General Querry on Education - Prospect 13:34:20 03/14/16 (5)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.