Home K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share youe ideas and experiences.

RAKK - Sonos compatibility

I've been happily running a Mk I RAKK for the past 10 years, until recently with just an Oppo player as transport. The result has been very satisfying for digital. Last summer I decided to get a Sonos connect that would allow me to stream ripped CDs from my Macbook through the stock Sonos into the RAKK.

Surprisingly, Sonos-streamed CDs didn't sound any better to my ears than CDs through the Oppo. Worse, after about 6 months there developed some issues - periodic distortion as well as static noise at the end and beginning of songs. The noise was strongest in one channel, and not present with the output of the Oppo, and not present from the analog outputs from the Sonos (just its digital coax output into the DAC). A 90-minute call with Sonos technical support covered a lot of ground (have you checked the connection of your speaker cables?) and ultimately they determined it was likely an issue with the RAKK DAC, despite the observations I just explained.

So with that - I thought I should check whether anyody else experienced compatibility issues with a Sonos connect? They offered to send out a new unit in spite of their expert assessment, since it is still under warranty. But now I'm wondering if I'll have the same issue in 6 months again? Should I just be happy with a CDP and be done with music servers altogether?

Thanks for listening. Grateful for any others' experiences out there.

Cheers
Michael

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Topic - RAKK - Sonos compatibility - Michael V 03:52:40 02/18/16 (6)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.