Home K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share youe ideas and experiences.

RE: New schematics

I have built several PP amps where I used direct coupling between the first and second stage. The problem that I encountered was not bias instability, but the consequences of imperfect first stage tube matching. If the second stage tube had low grid bias voltage, a small plate voltage offset in the first stage due to mismatch in the input stage tubes "ate" a fair amount of the voltage swing available to drive the second stage to symmetrical clipping. It's not that I envisioned clipping the second stage in normal use, as that would be bad design, but simply want to have plenty of "headroom" in this transaction. The least fussy solution I found was to use a driver (second) stage tube that had a high enough grid bias voltage that a few volts of plate imbalance wasn't a big issue. I ultimately settled on triode-connected EL34 drivers in those amps. Of course there are other ways to deal with this as well, short of adding another IT.

Kevin Carter
K&K Audio
www.kandkaudio.com

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: New schematics - KevinC 05:58:17 03/06/15 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.