Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: Seeking advice on subwoofers for horn speakers

Hello,

It seems we are going the same road at the moment. I have a very similar horn set as yours : Edgar Hypex 80 hz, 350 saladbowl with TAD 4001 and Fane tweeter.
I am currently very unhappy with my sub woofer with 18" McCauley. It is just not keeping up with the rest ( i won't say bass is slow since this could end in another argument thread )
I have heard many HE systems both home and studio. For me the best is very big bass horns without any contest, the best I heard are two 4sqm mouth horns. Surprisingly the second best I heard is an array of twelve 10" wooffers (Peerless) in closed box. I say surprisingly because this goes against my preference to use bigger pro drivers. Bass was effortless very deep and it seemed that with this set up - for wathever reason - room modes are less a problem than usual, bass is more constant in the room. To me this is what is closest to big bass horns. Maybe some of the forum experts can give explanations and suggest drivers.

Hope that helps.

Pierre-henri

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.