Home DIY HiFi Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Shunt regulator for LadyDay

I added a shunt regulator to my LadyDay amp. The regulator is for the driver tube circuit. I have already done the CCS mod on this amp. The additional mod consists of a pair of cascaded 10M45's with an output set at about 15mA feeding a set of VR tubes. These tubes (2)0A2 and (1) 0A3/VR75 set the output to the already installed CCS at 375 volts. They shunt to ground and maintain the voltage constant at 375. This isolates the driver tube even more from the current and voltage swings of the output tube.
Obviously they are a tight fit on the LD chassis but I made them fit. The result is a cleaner more relaxed sound from the amps with a lower noise floor (blacker background in audiophile parlance) with the associated increased dynamics (real or percieved). I seem to be able to listen at lower volume while still getting the microdynamics. Very worthwhile if a little bit of a challenge. I have reached the limit on my LadyDay's unless I change out the entire chassis which I do not plan on doing. I have always been pleased with the sound from the amps since I purchased them about 6 years ago.
Regards,
Tony

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Shunt regulator for LadyDay - driguy 15:25:14 09/13/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.