Home DIY HiFi Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: LD MkII Dual Mono Vs. LUX SET

You're welcome. Sorry, I don't do the audiophile review thing well. I simply have two criteria: Does the system rock (loud, dynamic, uncompressed sound - applies to large orchestral, big band as much as rock - your job will be much easier if you only listen to small ensemble classical, jazz, folk, etc)? Does the music sound right (subjective but if all the things you mentioned above aren't right, probably not)? I use what I hear as a musician as my reference.

All the things you are looking for can be available with either amp depending on your choice of speakers and your acoustics. I prefer the Lux with my current speakers because it's the better match of the two. I'm planning on building a pair of 4Pi speakers in the near future. These are a much better choice for my tastes and SET amps. Who knows, with these speakers, I might prefer the LD.

Overall, I think you are more likely to reach your goal with the Lux simply because of it's ability to drive less efficient speakers. If an amp can't drive a speaker properly, forget about drive, PRAT, bass control and GBF. BTW, if you are talking bass in the 20Hz to 50Hz region and plan on using SET amps like these, you'll have to go with plate amp powered subwoofers or have speakers the size of a small house.

So yes, you can have your cake with either assuming you have the right speakers properly set up in a good acoustic environment. That's not easy to do. As an ex high end audio dealer, I rarely went into a home and found these factors optimized. I always told people to first pick the speakers that they liked the most. Then build the system around those speakers.

Good luck, hope it all comes together for you.
Open up your mind, in pours the trash. - Meat Puppets, 1987

Edits: 09/02/11

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.