Home DIY HiFi Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Ella buzzes when I plug in Active Preamp

Hello all--

I recently bought an older Ella that is, I believe, the point to point model. I'm using it with a Gigaworks DAC, driving a pair of Quad ESL 57 speakers. Sounds great. Plenty of power, no hum or buzz, a great match to these speakers. The guy I bought it from did a pretty decent job building it, though I rerouted some of the power supply wires to get rid of a tiny bit of hum.

Here's my problem:

If I plug an active preamp into the Ella, there is a faint but audible buzz in both channels. I have tried 3 preamps, two tube and one solid state, and as soon as the RCA cables are plugged into the Ella's inputs, there is a hum.

Most of my listening is through the DAC, but I also occasionally listen to vinyl and sometimes run my television through my audio system, so I'd like to be able to use an active preamp in one of the Ella's inputs.

My ideal situation would be to keep the DAC plugged into one of the Ella's inputs and the preamp into the other.

Can anybody tell me why I get hum when a preamp is plugged into the Ella? It hums, by the way, even if the preamp is not turned on, and it doesn't seem to matter which of the inputs I'm using.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Topic - Ella buzzes when I plug in Active Preamp - neatokino 16:03:20 07/23/11 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.