Home DIY HiFi Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

simple mods of Django tvc ....

Had some ideas about raising the resolution of my Django tvc (s&b mk3) ...

After debating whether to keep a Mk I iteration, I decided that the potential was greater with the mk3 Django, but the mk1 s&b (not a django, but another manufacturer) sounded surprisingly good on it's own, somehow more clean & direct than the mk3.

So I had a look inside both units. What stood out right away was that the mk1 unit I had here had none of the switching options (rca/xlr, +6dB gain, grounding) or the considerable extra wiring to accomodate those, or any of the balanced in/outputs that were standard on the mk3, all unused by me.

Anyway, I was considering the following changes to the Django mk3, and thought I might get some opinion here :

1.) The Plus Six dB Gain switch : this I will never use, and as I understand it, engaging this to add gain limits or penalizes impedance matching anyway. If this is eliminated it looks as if some back & forth wiring to the selector switch could also be removed, and that would shorten the signal path on the important input side.

2.) The Rca / Xlr switch : since I don't use any xlr or balanced gear downstream (--this switch only applies to output, right ?.. not even sure, having kept it to rca thus far), I was thinking that along with the xlr outs themselves, this could be bypassed to minimize the overall circuitry. As a confirmed se/tubeamp user, it's unlikely that I'd be using the balanced xlr outs.

3.) Source Select switch : if either or both of the above operations were in progress, it might be a very good time to install a shaft-extension for the Selector switch at the same time. Maintaining standard connections but bringing that device to the back of the chassis, eliminating wiring and getting switch itself to within about 10 cm of input jacks (another improvement on the input / primary side of the xformers).

None of this would be much of a question if I could easily lift and replace parts and wiring, listen again and repeat, but I'd really want to do any of this only once, and with all possible neatness and secure connections throughout. On that basis I'd be confident of the work, but on a try-and-repeat basis there would be a little more wear/tear than I'd be comfortable with.

Looks thus far like #1 and #3 are the ones to go with here, as far as I can tell. Minimizing circuit path and removing wire on the primary side would seem to improve resolution while taking unused features and switching out of the equation. But what about #2, any merit there ? Open to suggestions.

Anyone done similar, or have advice or ideas on any of this ?
Thanks very much.

SQ

Edits: 01/07/11

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Topic - simple mods of Django tvc .... - squiffles 13:36:48 01/07/11 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.