Home DIY HiFi Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Fi For Flora: Asus EB1501 -- Honey I Shrunk the Bits, Part 1

The Asus EB1501 is in house. I can't believe how small this thing is.
Review is here

It comes with

* wireless keyboard and mouse
* MCE remote control
* Windows 7 Home Premium
* power supply, CD and usual hardware bits
* slot loading DVD R/W
* VGA and HDMI video outputs
* 320gb hd (enough to rip 500+ redbook CDs)
* 2gb ram
* Wifi

This will connect to our flat screen TV using the Media Player that comes with Windows 7 Home Premium. It can be configured for bit perfect playback and, if all goes well, allow true 24bit/192khz though the USB to our USB DAC, the Cleo.

The EB1501 was chosen for it's compact size, inclusion of MCE remote, dual Atom CPU and the possibility to use W7 media player. If W7 media player is up for it, we won't need to buy anything else to get low noise, bit perfect playback. Not sure about the ripping side of things though and will report on that later. Been getting very comfortable with DBpoweramp. Just insert a CD and it fetches the album cover graphics, does all the verification and places the ripped file in a directory structure by genre - no user input needed once setup.

The dual Atom CPU is welcome because the single Atom in the Wind Neton sometimes stalls a bit when called on to do more than one thing at a time. With the Asus EB1501 we also get 2gb ram as compared to 1gb for the Wind Neton. Also the fanspeed can be monitored and controlled by software. It can even be switched off while keeping an eye on CPU temperature. Not having a video screen makes for very low noise and heat.

Flora likes.
Forward we go.
DIY - Done Right!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.