Home DIY HiFi Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: M100 with All Film Capacitor Power Supply

Hi,

> What I thought I would do is attach aluminum plates to the
> sides raising the amp up a couple of inches, and attaching a
> plate to the bottom of that. Essentially adding a basement
> to the housing.

That would solve the space issues, but is a lot of work TBH.

A further alternative I just kind of remembered would be to place the power supply into an external case, like the border patrol power supply.

I did discuss some with Brian, but we did not really take this up so far.

One could use one of the larger project chassis with a pair of FCUPS and a pair of Tube rectifiers with a suitable canned transformer on top to power the original Ella chassis unmodified, the existing mains transformer would be left for the heaters only.

> On this plate I thought I could mount the Power Supply, the
> Active Bias supply modules and the Film Caps to replace the
> 47uf caps on the board.

Mounting stuff that connects to the top of the chassis on a removable bottom plate leads to a nightmare of wiring and assembly etc.

Better attach the ABS and FCUPS to the sides as shown here:

> However, like I said before, if the 47uf caps on the board are
> actually part of the power supply it would be more complicated
> to replace the power supply then if not.

These capacitors form the "supply line decoupling" for the Input and driver valves.

IF I where to work on the Amplifier I would likely get 4 pcs of the smallest mechanical size 450V or 630V 22uF capacitors (or 2 X 22uF & 2 X 10uF - the input tube is okay with 10uF) and place them besides the PCB. I would then create separate filter sections for left & right (they are currently combined) after cutting the necessary traces on the PCB.

I would add that dealing with these capacitors (and the six Wima's) alone without touching the main power supply will provide a major upgrade within the available space.

If you then elect to add my suggested 22Ohm/47uF Filter to each Channels high tension supply for the output stage you will get a large proportion of the benefits of the FCUPS within the existing chassis and would probably the most effective and easy upgrade.

The ABS PCB's are (by design) so small, you can normally easily find a place to put them. If you remove the bias pots you can place them directly in front of the power tubes, using stand-off's attached to the screws holding the tube sockets.

Ciao T
Thor

At 20 bits, you are on the verge of dynamic range covering fly-farts-at-20-feet to intolerable pain. Really, what more could we need?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: M100 with All Film Capacitor Power Supply - Thorsten 20:59:22 04/02/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.