Home DIY HiFi Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: which obbligato for cathode bypass?

Hi,

I know I'm chancing loosing Brian a sale here, but why not upgrading your design to "full monkey" status.

In this case you recycle the output stage current to generate the Driver Bias.

Like this:

Some thoughts about singleended Valve Amplifiers

Just look for the final amplifier circuit...

Here some experiences from a Musician in Spain who build such a "Monkey" Amplifier like that:

My experience building a DRD d3A/300B amp

Also, may I ask WHY ON EARTH the 6N1P must be used? It is really not a very good choice for the job... :-)

Finally, if you really need around 100uF in the original circuit (it may be worth calculating if you really do) and you want to go ahead using the 6N1P even if much better choices exist, I would suggest the small blue 22uF/35V over the other capacitors.

Excessively large (physical size) capacitors in cathodes do seem to sound worse than smaller ones, maybe due to inductance? Who knows.

Nowadays I'm "off" DRD and Monkey Designs and back to rather deceptively simple looking things, but these Amplifiers do manage to sound quite stunning...

Ciao T
Thor

At 20 bits, you are on the verge of dynamic range covering fly-farts-at-20-feet to intolerable pain. Really, what more could we need?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.