Home DIY HiFi Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Lux

Hi Raymond
Thanks for commenting. Thorsten has, surprisingly, answered for himself.
For me, I don't think there are absolutes, just different solutions, each with their own set of efficiencies.
I guess a single tube spud amp would be the ultimate in direct sound but very limited otherwise. Next would be a single high gain triode or pentode to drive the power tube, with all the oft-discussed challenges to implement each with its own tradeoff. Most common is the dual triode 6SN7/6SL7 etc which is really two stages in one bottle and these can sound very good as well but it's a balancing act of gain vs drive. The Lux parallels the two halves of the 5687 in the gain-neural interstage so it acts like one tube, and with a little circuit trickery, dispenses with the coupling cap that would normally be on the grid of the 300b, as well the choke adds the turbocharging effect Thorsten describes. Subjectively the package is very transparent and direct sounding.

My descriptions were just an attempt to put into words what i hear subjectively together with Thorsten's explanation of what happens in the circuit.

The beauty AND the beast.

Regards
Brian

Take control! DIY.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Lux - bcherry 16:59:51 10/06/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.