Home DIY HiFi Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: ESL and DIYHIFI amp kits

Hi Brian and everyone else,

Thanks Brian for answering.

I guess I was sounding out whether DIYHIF amps could work with ESL generally. I guessed the Joplin would be 300B version to give it a chance with insensitive (low 80 dB/w/m) speakers.

In all this I am looking to possible renewal of my HIFI system which is 25+ years old. Also, and importantly I am wanting to get stuck into a project or two but have to be careful with the dollars - my wife is not a music fan, background noise is more her style :)

There seems to be very opposed views on valve amps and ESL yet of course quads date from the hayday of valve. Sure I understand that ESL have a lowering impedance curve with frequency (capacitive load) and get very low. That suggests good damping but how much? This is all new to me.

ER audio is an Australian site and I also live in Aussie. Its site is

"http://www.eraudio.com.au/DIY_Speaker_Kits/Acorn_ESL_kit/acorn_esl_kit.html" (on my PC browser, explorer, site is messed up but readable, but on my Mac, Safari, just fine ??)

The FAQ page suggests high current ability and power between 30 and 100 watts. I wonder if this is a solid state persons perspective since it seems that the sensitivity is about the same ie low 80's yet the quad 2 was only 15 watts per channel.

Any help in getting to grips with "what may match with what" is very welcome. Understood it is very personal but others views can help in deciding on a starting point. I listen to wide range of music but mainly acoustic and often classical, jazz and folk. I do not listen at very high levels - can still have a conversation if not quite background music.

Thanks,

Richard.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.