Home DIY HiFi Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

As Brian is too shy to toot his own horn....

Folks,

Remember that old "wide baffle" thread? Brian has been secretly working at some interesting speaker related stuff.

How does a small (5") Fullrange Driver with alloy cone neodymium magnet, cast frame, around 88db/W/m for a single speaker (94db/2W/m for stereo pair) efficiency sound like for a small high quality system?

The Neophone 130mm wide range driver

I have known for a while and should have a pair of the new small full-range drivers t hand, I'll report then on sound. On paper at least (I have had full technical data readouts here of a number of versions) this looks great.

Of course, it is a lowish efficiency and will not go terribly loud or low and it needs a box, but I suspect for it's class it will do very well. Mine are intended for my bedroom system.

I have forgotten how many revisions the prototypes went through, but it where about halve a dozend I know of. So this is not just some cheap china driver with a badge, it is serious custom engineering (in case someone is tempted to ask).

In any case, N'joy....

Ciao T

PS, there has also been a lot of work going on with the well known Ciare 10" Fullranger, but I'll leave Brian to tell that story.

PPS, if you ever wnated to build a copy of a B05E 901 - here are drivers that will make the result worth listening to... ;-)

PPPS, if you wanted a pair of B05E 801 for PA these would make a cracking one, 8pcs in a suitable enclosure will do 97db/W/m with a cutoff in the 70Hz range, a little EQ (just as in the original) and you get 50Hz -18KHz and all in a compact package.

For people who like to use this one for Home HiFi and would like High Efficiency, you can build a linesource (Bessel Array) with a bunch of them, even a 4-Driver line manages 94db/W/m....

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - As Brian is too shy to toot his own horn.... - Thorsten 04:52:50 02/06/06 (8)

You can not post to an archived thread.