Welcome Licorice Pizza (LP) lovers! Setup guides and Vinyl FAQ.
In Reply to: Stravinsky Firebird Classic Records posted by gouldglen on February 3, 2010 at 09:41:51:
I would say the the 45 rpm is superior, but like all upgrades in audio, the increases in quality in sound get harder and harder and cost more and more money. I bought both the 33 and 45 rpm versions when they first came out. I think the 45 rpm version (on 3 one-sided LPs) cost around $50, so it wasn't cheap to begin with.
The Firebird is one of the very best reissues that Classic Records has done. The 33 rpm version is excellent, and you will get most of what is on the 45 rpm version. It all depends on your deep pockets and the quality of your system. If you are aiming for the best and can afford it, go for it.
I have a pristine copy of the first pressing of the original Mercury issue. I prefer the CR reissues. I also have the early Telarc LP of the Suite, to which I assume you are referring. The Mercury is the complete ballet. The Telarc is a digital recording, and an early one at that. For the full glory of analog sound, wonderful strings, fully realized timbres, and big 3-dimensional acoustic, go for one of the CR reissues.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Stravinsky Firebird Classic Records - gouldglen 09:41:51 02/03/10 (11)
- Depending on how wisely you shop.... - email@example.com 18:06:52 02/03/10 (3)
- then is $3750 a good deal for a Velvet Underground LP? - firstname.lastname@example.org 11:14:40 02/04/10 (2)
- RE: then is $3750 a good deal for a Velvet Underground LP? - email@example.com 13:18:37 02/04/10 (1)
- a few of the many reasons..... - firstname.lastname@example.org 14:01:35 02/04/10 (0)
- Far superior? - Botanico92007 13:12:38 02/03/10 (2)
- RE: Far superior? - gouldglen 13:20:06 02/03/10 (1)
- RE: Far superior? - Botanico92007 20:40:03 02/03/10 (0)
- Umm, there are sooo many good firebirds out there... - richardl 11:12:55 02/03/10 (0)
- RE: Save your money.................. - Tom B. 10:36:23 02/03/10 (1)
- Re: Ansermet Stereo Firebird - email@example.com 14:51:55 02/03/10 (0)
- As an aside, there are just so many good Firebird performances though! - firstname.lastname@example.org 09:46:24 02/03/10 (0)