Welcome Licorice Pizza (LP) lovers! Setup guides and Vinyl FAQ.
In Reply to: Their are a lot of ceramic bearing materials to select from.... posted by tubesforever on May 18, 2009 at 22:53:00:
Your statement that replacing the machined surface with a chrome steel ball would be an improvement is quite wrong.
If you look at the bearing you will see that it is machined as an oblate hemispheroid to increase the effective radius at the contact point, thereby decreasing the load stress and increasing the toughness of the bearing. If the machining is done the right way the apparent surface roughness is not very important as the apparent roughness is orthogonal to the direction of motion.
Bottom line: Technics engineers really know what they are doing. It is important to understand why they made a particular decision before reversing it.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Anyone interested in an improved SL1200 main platter bearing? - tubesforever 00:12:00 05/18/09 (18)
- Tubes, I have an old SL-1200 spindle bearing lying around. - Ugly 11:14:39 05/19/09 (0)
- RE: Anyone interested in an improved SL1200 main platter bearing? - Panelhead 19:51:49 05/18/09 (0)
- A word of warning regarding spherical thrust bearings - Mark Kelly 17:49:46 05/18/09 (7)
- RE: A word of warning regarding spherical thrust bearings - Ugly 11:26:52 05/19/09 (2)
- Translation for the non-technically minded: - Mark Kelly 20:42:38 05/18/09 (3)
- RE: Translation for the non-technically minded: - d to the g 20:35:41 05/20/09 (0)
- Translation for the obviously technically minded. - Mark Kelly 22:21:33 05/20/09 (0)
- Ignore this if you wish to do so.... - tubesforever 22:38:12 05/18/09 (1)
- Try again. - Mark Kelly 23:03:29 05/18/09 (0)
- RE: Anyone interested in an improved SL1200 main platter bearing? - telewacked 16:15:44 05/18/09 (0)
- I would offer mine up for you, Jim... - JimK 05:47:52 05/18/09 (6)
- Look forward to seeing you Jim! - tubesforever 11:05:59 05/18/09 (5)
- Are you going to be using - Muzikmike 11:47:09 05/18/09 (4)
- Their are a lot of ceramic bearing materials to select from.... - tubesforever 22:53:00 05/18/09 (3)