Welcome Licorice Pizza (LP) lovers! Setup guides and Vinyl FAQ.
Well, yes, the subject line says it all. This is one fine cartridge MM or MC or whatever. The Shibata stylus gives me the best, most open, transparent and extended top end of any cartridge I've ever owned. Comparing it to my reference Dyna 20XL, I give the Dyna a subtle edge in the bass and midrange, but the Black pulls away on top. It is detailed without the sterility and lack of "soul" I heard from my OC9. The top end simply shimmers. Brushed cymbals have that harmonic sheen that few carts can accurately capture and most simply smear.
And the Ortofon is nimble, like the Dyna. It wants to boogie when the music calls for it and is laid back when that is called for. It's a good tracker, too. No signs of mistracking at 1.6 g VTF.
Associated equipment includes the Scout/JMW-9, Hagerman Cornet II (no SUT required, a plus), Hagerman Clarinet line stage, NAD C272 power amp (the Forte is in CA for upgrades and a conversion to Class A operation) and Maggie MMGs supplemented by an Infinity sub.
Let's put it this way. I like the Black enough to plunk down $400 for a third wand for my JMW-9. I now can quickly swap from among three good carts.
The 2M Black has a MSRP of $599, but Thakker on eBay sells it for $100 less. Highly recommended.
Cogito Ergo Spud
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Ortofon 2M Black - My last MM. (pic) - HenryH 12:57:51 02/23/08 (27)
- RE: Ortofon 2M Black - My last MM. (pic) - email@example.com 20:35:13 02/23/09 (0)
- Any thoughts on how this would be on a KAB mod'd SL-1200??? - VynylTap 14:38:17 02/24/08 (1)
- No reason why it would not be a good match. I had an OC9ML/II - HenryH 15:24:03 02/24/08 (0)
- Let it break in first, as much as the Dyna. - Story 11:13:17 02/24/08 (3)
- You expect it to get WORSE as it breaks in??? Never heard - HenryH 12:25:39 02/24/08 (2)
- A better closeup of the Ortofon 2M Black. - HenryH 10:04:49 02/24/08 (0)
- Even better than the Shure Ultra 500? - B.K. 08:59:36 02/24/08 (1)
- I have to say yes. I like the 2M Black better than my Ultra 500, - HenryH 09:08:30 02/24/08 (0)
- How's that Shibata stylus with ... - MaxwellP 07:55:33 02/24/08 (1)
- The brightness was referenced to the Bronze, not the Black. - HenryH 09:31:51 02/24/08 (0)
- RE: Ortofon 2M Black - My last MM. (pic) - aspenmarie 06:59:01 02/24/08 (2)
- Saw that. Was going for the Bronze until I read that. /nt\ - HenryH 07:15:19 02/24/08 (1)
- Tough to believe the bronze would be that "hard" sounding. nt - Stephen Murphy 07:52:27 02/24/08 (0)
- RE: Ortofon 2M Black - My last MM. (pic) - orb 06:43:08 02/24/08 (1)
- I have three wands for my Scout/JMW-9. The two I bought - HenryH 07:09:31 02/24/08 (0)
- RE: Ortofon 2M Black - My last MM. (pic) - pt109 04:32:58 02/24/08 (1)
- Very interested in the comparison's outcome,,,,,,,, - beach cruiser 10:25:48 02/25/08 (0)
- What was it got you interested in that particular cart? - Stephen Murphy 15:44:11 02/23/08 (1)
- RE: What was it got you interested in that particular cart? - HenryH 15:48:09 02/23/08 (0)
- Loading and capacitance questions - tpao 15:30:13 02/23/08 (1)
- Standard 47K load via Cornet II. Not sure on capacitance. - HenryH 15:45:47 02/23/08 (0)
- RE: Ortofon 2M Black - My last MM. (pic) - AudioSoul 15:11:54 02/23/08 (0)
- Great pic - what other MM carts have you tried? - Maniac 14:16:36 02/23/08 (1)
- A few, including . . . . - HenryH 14:32:35 02/23/08 (0)
- Last? ... - bjh 13:00:53 02/23/08 (1)
- Nope. It's good enough to stop me from looking at any other MMs. /nt\ - HenryH 13:07:32 02/23/08 (0)