Welcome Licorice Pizza (LP) lovers! Setup guides and Vinyl FAQ.
Lots of questions here considering I recently purchased a very nice condition Rek-O-Kut B12 (plain B12 is all that is on the metal ID plate) Rondine. Top plate is grey and "ROK Rondine" is white lettering. It came from a home console and has a "square motor" that appears to be same unit (?) used in other LP743 models. Model is General Industries, 23195 - it's a .5A, 60Hz unit.
The link below shows the exact B12 and motor model of mine (tons of pics at the end)
Despite the practically new condition of rubber washers and idler wheel, this baby has some major vibration and ringing issues.
First, this heavy vibration is felt and heard without platter or plinth/console connection. I only have the unit in "raw" form so I'll soon build a plinth. With platter installed and engaged, the vibration does not seem change for better or worse but I can hear the platter ringing close up.
I assume I now have to take the motor apart but it appears there is no easy way to do this without removing many other support plates, washers, springs, and rubber gaskets. Do I need to bite the bullet and take everything apart or is there an easier way to oil the motor? I am also wondering, given the age of it, should I just take everything apart regardless just to give all the parts a nice clean (or am I asking for trouble putting it all back together due to critical alignment issues)? If I take it all apart what other components should I grease or oil?
Given my description of the motor above I was also wondering what type of motor it is (induction, synchronous, papst). Can’t say I know about the differences in the type but would like to study on what I have.
Lastly, any suggestions out there on oil type for the motor and bearing?
I figure I’ll get thru the vibration issue first then attack the ringing later. I asked enough questions for now :-)
Thanks for helping me get thru the first step. Looking forward to bringing it back to life :-)
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Rek-O-Kut B12 Motor - macm75 08:58:16 12/14/07 (15)
- RE: Rek-O-Kut B12 Motor - hurdy-gurdyman 08:22:17 12/16/07 (1)
- Just dug out those motors - hurdy-gurdyman 12:09:10 12/16/07 (0)
- Much Thanks and more. - macm75 13:39:09 12/14/07 (1)
- I had ringing once.... - tubesforever 14:34:58 12/14/07 (0)
- Thanks! I have a Rek-O-Kut B12 too! (nt) - Crazy Dave 12:33:18 12/14/07 (0)
- RE: Rek-O-Kut B12 Motor - philltubes 11:58:46 12/14/07 (0)
- This is a shaded pole AC synchronous motor. - tubesforever 11:52:37 12/14/07 (5)
- RE: Grommets - philltubes 12:09:51 12/14/07 (4)
- Yeah I have checked on their web site and emailed them... - tubesforever 12:50:53 12/14/07 (3)
- RE: Yeah I have checked on their web site and emailed them... - philltubes 13:35:07 12/14/07 (2)
- let us know... - telewacked 15:02:09 12/14/07 (0)
- RE: Yeah I have checked on their web site and emailed them... - philltubes 13:42:02 12/14/07 (0)
- RE: Rek-O-Kut B12 Motor - tesla 11:41:12 12/14/07 (2)
- I hope your post generates more comments about motors and their controllers. - tubesforever 10:11:06 12/15/07 (0)
- That's not correct - Mark Kelly 02:10:43 12/15/07 (0)