Welcome Licorice Pizza (LP) lovers! Setup guides and Vinyl FAQ.
In Reply to: Linn owners dilemma posted by MikeD@NZ on September 17, 2007 at 02:20:30:
I'm an LP12 owner as well, and I still really like the table. Although LP12 bashing is fashionable for some on this board, I'm sure that there's an equal (perhaps larger) number of people who own and like the table... some of whom are probably busier listening to music than gossiping on their computers.
I tend to find that the complaints about the excessive midbass and lack of detail are more characteristic of pre-circus valhalla-powered decks from the 80's (and before). It's kind of like bashing a Porsche 911 because the early 80's models were prone to oversteer.
The circus, lingo and especially the keel all serve to progressively tighten (and deepen) the bass and increase detail. The question is where to stop, and that's a personal call.
I kind of wish I didn't hear a 'keeled' deck. The improvement in clarity and timing is substantial - probably moreso than a switch from a valhalla to a lingo, and definitely more than a tonearm switch. Value is a tough call. I'm holding off on the keel.
I can, however, heartily reccommend the boston audio mat. That works very well on the table. Similarly, if you haven't done so already, a neuance shelf and a Sound Organisation (or similar) support will make a substantial difference.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Linn owners dilemma - MikeD@NZ 02:20:30 09/17/07 (29)
- RE: Linn owners dilemma - Bandit 05:05:31 09/18/07 (1)
- RE: Linn owners dilemma - Crazy Dave 13:07:03 09/18/07 (0)
- Methinks you worry too much!! :-)) ... - andyr 20:35:18 09/17/07 (0)
- I love my 1977... - docw 14:53:07 09/17/07 (0)
- RE: Linn owners dilemma - Crazy Dave 14:17:30 09/17/07 (0)
- I still like my LP12 - JBC 12:53:56 09/17/07 (2)
- Nice analogy ... :-)) - andyr 14:34:39 09/17/07 (1)
- RE: Nice analogy ... :-)) - JBC 08:27:14 09/18/07 (0)
- RE: Linn owners dilemma - audiozorro 10:41:38 09/17/07 (3)
- Please detail how the Keel is superior - risabet 11:55:15 09/17/07 (2)
- RE: Linn owners dilemma - risabet 09:06:34 09/17/07 (0)
- RE: Linn owners dilemma (LONG) (PIC) - gastwa 07:22:49 09/17/07 (11)
- RE: Linn owners dilemma (LONG) (PIC) - MikeD@NZ 02:49:20 09/18/07 (0)
- The shelf - lumierekey 13:54:57 09/17/07 (1)
- RE: The shelf - gastwa 16:14:54 09/17/07 (0)
- RE: Linn owners dilemma (LONG) (PIC) - macster 09:57:48 09/17/07 (3)
- RE: Linn owners dilemma (LONG) (PIC) - gastwa 12:36:37 09/17/07 (2)
- Perhaps ... if you compare it with a pressed-steel subchassied LP12. But ... - andyr 14:42:30 09/17/07 (1)
- HA! - macster 16:02:01 09/17/07 (0)
- Suspension question - sjg 09:44:27 09/17/07 (3)
- RE: Linn owners dilemma - macster 07:09:08 09/17/07 (0)
- RE: Linn owners dilemma - JeffH 06:26:04 09/17/07 (0)
- the only linn worth having . . . - newbilong 02:53:52 09/17/07 (1)
- But only for those who lack .... :-)) - andyr 20:37:55 09/17/07 (0)