Welcome Licorice Pizza (LP) lovers! Setup guides and Vinyl FAQ.
In Reply to: Re: Thorens 126 vs Michell Gyrodec posted by Piran on December 6, 2005 at 13:17:56:
It will say on the right front top, MKII or MKIII. You may want to contact the seller before you make a trip and ask which it is. It's your choice but I recommend the MKII.
Hopefully the turntable will be available to demo it. When you see it, listen carefully to the motor without the belt on and with the belt on for any motor bearing noise. Also spin the small inner platter (its a two piece platter) freehand and listen carefully for any platter bearing noise ie scraping or grinding. If there is noise from the motor and it is not too bad, lubing may get rid of it. Same with platter noise because the bearing can be cleaned and re-lubed.
Then be sure to check all auto functions as well as the speed in all three selections. You can see this thru the strobe window on top. The seller most likely can show you how to micro adjust speed.
The last thing to check is the tonearm while playing a record. You want to see if there is a short in it. You also want to verify that there is no horizontal or vertical movement at the tonearms pivot (is the bearing tight). Hold it across the top above the pivot with one hand and with the other hand gently move the arm tube front to rear and up and down. You don't want any slop. Good luck and I hope you make a great buy.
A man can never have too many turntables.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Thorens 126 vs Michell Gyrodec - Piran 09:07:16 12/06/05 (13)
- Re: Thorens 126 vs Michell Gyrodec - Werner 22:24:35 12/07/05 (1)
- Re: Thorens 126 vs Michell Gyrodec - Piran 01:43:08 12/08/05 (0)
- Which model, what price? - Piran 03:19:29 12/07/05 (0)
- Re: Thorens 126 vs Michell Gyrodec - Brixton77 00:34:18 12/07/05 (1)
- Re: Thorens 126 vs Michell Gyrodec - Piran 03:08:42 12/07/05 (0)
- Re: Thorens 126 vs Michell Gyrodec - mothra 13:14:19 12/06/05 (1)
- Re: Thorens 126 vs Michell Gyrodec - Piran 13:21:29 12/06/05 (0)
- Re: Thorens 126 vs Michell Gyrodec - about2 10:17:27 12/06/05 (5)
- Re: Thorens 126 vs Michell Gyrodec - Piran 10:32:00 12/06/05 (4)Follow Ups
- Re: Thorens 126 vs Michell Gyrodec - about2 14:52:45 12/06/05 (1)
- Re: Thorens 126 vs Michell Gyrodec - Piran 03:02:46 12/07/05 (0)
You can not post to an archived thread.