Welcome Licorice Pizza (LP) lovers! Setup guides and Vinyl FAQ.
In Reply to: Are you a turntable snob posted by firstname.lastname@example.org on July 22, 2012 at 19:00:48:
To explain to children why adults act the way that they do. I have come to the conclusion that adults are just screwed up kids with power. Now that they have power they can adopt the attitude that they know best and others are wrong about their approach to certain things in life.
I don't care what anyone uses in their rig as long as they are happy. The down side to people out there using poor quality gear is that there are a lot of lousy used LPs being generated. That sucks but we cannot make people be what we want them to be no matter how right we think we are.
I will draw the line on the notion that a turntable (or anything) has to be of a certain brand or a certain type to be any good. We used to think that people with different colored skin were not as good as people with the "best" colored skin and this turntable snobbery is a very small example of that thinking pattern.
I was raised to think all of those same narrow minded things too. I have tried very hard not to be that way and teach my children to accept people and things for what they are and on the basis of merit.
I am sorry for going down the path of predjudice but that is exactly what we are talking about here. In this case its a predjudice about turntables but its a dangerous thinking pattern.
In the case of turntables I have heard enough examples of different models and technologies that I am pretty certain that any approach, done carefully and by someone who cares about the product, can yield a decent performer.
There are so many fine examples of turntables that it makes me proud to be a member of this goofy fraternity. Its a great hobby that includes one of the most human things of all...music.
We don't shush around here!
Life is analog...digital is just samples thereof
Edits: 07/23/12This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Are you a turntable snob - email@example.com 19:00:48 07/22/12 (47)
- I think there's something wrong... - tketcham 09:35:23 07/24/12 (4)
- RE: I think there's something wrong... - firstname.lastname@example.org 12:27:15 07/24/12 (3)
- I paid $25 for a stone mint Thorens TD-160 in 2005 - Biff 20:37:41 07/23/12 (0)
- As long as it tracks correctly.... Remember most used records survived those "vintage" rigs. Will they - email@example.com 19:20:10 07/23/12 (0)
- RE: Are you a turntable snob - painter27 17:28:09 07/23/12 (1)
- RE: Are you a turntable snob - firstname.lastname@example.org 15:29:04 07/24/12 (0)
- RE: Are you a turntable snob (incredibly long and perhaps, boring) - Muzikmike 12:35:23 07/23/12 (0)
- Some erroneous assumptions here.... - email@example.com 11:49:37 07/23/12 (0)
- not really - my take - centaurus3200 11:28:29 07/23/12 (0)
- I think I would prefer his company to that of a guy with a 30,000 dollar turntable and 100 records. * - Enophile 10:48:01 07/23/12 (2)
- I dunno... with that many records the guy might have a hoarding tendency... - kuma 11:04:40 07/23/12 (1)
- Good point... - tketcham 15:12:01 07/24/12 (0)
- I wish I wasn't - mbnx01 10:01:09 07/23/12 (0)
- No - mr.bear 09:54:23 07/23/12 (0)
- RE: I'm more of a record care snob - Land Shark 08:30:10 07/23/12 (0)
- I think... - rebop 08:05:33 07/23/12 (0)
- RE: Are you a turntable snob - Cuernavaca 07:57:55 07/23/12 (1)
- Well-said! (nt) - mr.bear 09:55:24 07/23/12 (0)
- RE: Are you a turntable snob - Bry 07:55:27 07/23/12 (0)
- It is embarrassing and difficult... - EdAInWestOC 06:48:49 07/23/12 (2)
- RE: It is embarrassing and difficult... - robbbiec67 07:37:52 07/23/12 (1)
- In the case of cheap... - EdAInWestOC 08:51:03 07/23/12 (0)
- Not at all. - soundnut 06:28:27 07/23/12 (0)
- Some $20 garage sale turntables are quite good ... - reelsmith. 06:23:39 07/23/12 (0)
- RE: Are you a turntable snob - 3db 04:49:35 07/23/12 (0)
- If those 10,000 records... - genungo 04:47:03 07/23/12 (0)
- Is It A Musical Table Or Not? - AnalogJ 04:46:42 07/23/12 (0)
- No. - radiodaddy 04:24:20 07/23/12 (0)
- He got his priorities straight - Munkie_NL 00:37:25 07/23/12 (2)
- RE: Are you a turntable snob - AlbumAddictED 22:24:02 07/22/12 (0)
- RE: Are you a turntable snob - WOStantonCS100 22:22:18 07/22/12 (0)
- A buddy of mine picked up a TD124 at a garage sale for $10 a few years back... - eso 22:10:43 07/22/12 (0)
- With a bit of time and work, one can get a decent table in that price range - Road Warrior 21:57:21 07/22/12 (0)
- RE: Are you a turntable snob - Pat S. 21:50:59 07/22/12 (0)
- we all start somewhere - hifitommy 21:44:43 07/22/12 (0)
- RE: Are you a turntable snob - SgreenP@MSN.com 21:03:20 07/22/12 (0)
- RE: Are you a turntable snob - vinyl survivor 20:11:24 07/22/12 (1)
- RE: Are you a turntable snob - SgreenP@MSN.com 20:20:17 07/22/12 (0)
- I would like to be! NT - Know Won 19:49:08 07/22/12 (0)
- RE: Are you a turntable snob - kyle 19:35:07 07/22/12 (2)