Welcome Licorice Pizza (LP) lovers! Setup guides and Vinyl FAQ.
Mike Fremer was at a local audio shop playing some 24/96 files recorded from his home setup - some very expensive rig. Basically his recordings left a full blown lp12 with olympos cartridge in th shade. His files were some of the best sound I have heard. But it got me to thinking that mf hardly mentions SUTs. I am pretty certain that he uses a SS phono pre. In my experience, the best SUT / tube phono pre combination was far and away better than any SS phono-pre I have thus far heard. So I am wondering why mf seems to be SUT adverse. He mentioned in his talk that he is not a hobbiest, i.e. He does not tube roll or ever try to embellish manufacturers products. He is a strict 'consumerist'. Use the product as the manufacturer sent it. Further, he admits that he is mathematically challenged, and by extension electronically challenged.
It seems to me that to get SUTs right you have to have a little basic understanding of math and electronics, or get someone to do the thinking for you. So is mf giving SUTs short shrift because they aren't in his comfort zone, or is the best SS phono pre just superior to SUTs?. If it is the former, I would like to see him do some serious investigation into SUTs given that he has some of the best vinyl playback at his disposal and given that after listening to his demo l don't question that he has good ears.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Fremer and SUTs - pth 09:38:37 05/28/12 (17)
- RE: Fremer and SUTs - Lew 08:27:25 05/29/12 (5)
- RE: Fremer and SUTs - pth 23:06:17 05/29/12 (4)
- Apparently you didn't read the posts below. - Paul Tobin 05:25:06 05/30/12 (3)
- RE: Apparently you didn't read the posts below. - pth 06:16:39 05/30/12 (2)
- RE: Apparently you didn't read the posts below. - Lew 11:02:00 05/31/12 (0)
- Perhaps he's leaving the SUT surveys to Art Dudley? - Paul Tobin 15:23:37 05/30/12 (0)
- Mr. Fremer owns both the Ypsilon MC10 and the MC16, which he uses in his main rig. Transformer averse?... - viridian 17:11:48 05/28/12 (1)
- RE: Mr. Fremer owns both the Ypsilon MC10 and the MC16, which he uses in his main rig. Transformer averse?... - Paul Tobin 19:40:25 05/28/12 (0)
- Fremer uses the Ypsilon VPS-100... - kootenay 12:16:23 05/28/12 (1)
- "if he paid full price", surely you jest! - M3 lover 15:13:00 05/28/12 (0)
- It's a matter of quality - tubesforever 10:58:23 05/28/12 (3)
- RE: It's a matter of quality - AudioSoul 11:46:53 05/28/12 (2)
- RE: in many of his reviews......... - user510 10:42:28 05/28/12 (1)
- RE: in many of his reviews......... - AbeCollins 12:21:52 05/28/12 (0)
- Sounds like... - rebop 10:26:33 05/28/12 (0)