Welcome Licorice Pizza (LP) lovers! Setup guides and Vinyl FAQ.
In Reply to: Peggy Lee 78s! posted by email@example.com on May 26, 2012 at 13:42:50:
It turns out that I have two copies of Rendezvous With Peggy Lee. One I bought at Goodwill several years ago. It is pretty rough but the album cover is fair. The first disc which includes I Can't Give You Anything But Love and Why Don't You Do Right is broken. I cared more about Do Right so I glued it with magic glue from the I Can't Give You Anything but love side. Both sides played and I digitized the whole album. That was before I had my mono preamp so it was pretty bad. Even at that it remained in my car changer until recently.
Last year at the KXPR (Sactamento) used record sale I found a much better copy. I have since digitized it and replaced the very rough copy in my car.
I have no need for two copies so If you will give my "old" one a good home you are welcome to it. The file for the newer copy is still on my wife's computer so I can burn a CD of it. I did not de-click it or clean it up at all. It is just what came of the record with my Shure M44 with N44-3 stylus mixed to mono with a bass turn of 400 Hz and treble turn of 3180 Hz. There is no mistaking it for not being a 78 but I think it sounds good and gives the impression of having a trunk mounted 78 RPM record player. Stormy Weather could use some de-clicking however.
I have a Columbia Legacy CD (CK53422) of Benny Goodman featuring Peggy Lee when she first replaced Helen Forest in the band. Her growth from the beginning of the album to the end is evident.
At the capital public record sale I also picked up a Peggy Lee Lp with Benny Goodman which has the famous recording of Do Right. My guess is that when those recordings first came out she wasn't getting top billing.
If you are a Peggy Lee fan and also a Leiber & Stoller fan there is a CD which is a must have. I got it a couple of years ago as a limited edition. It is on A&M and the title is Peggy Lee sings Leiber & Stoller.
This is a side of them unlike the Coasters stuff or Hound Dog (not that there is anything wrong with that stuff). This is much darker stuff with Is That All There Is as an example.
Let me know if you want my alternate copy of Rendezvous With Peggy Lee.
Edits: 05/26/12This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - "Real Mono" RPX shootout with stereo cartridges - coffee-phil 12:00:49 05/25/12 (12)
- RE: "Real Mono" RPX shootout with stereo cartridges - RakeAngle 18:35:26 08/15/12 (0)
- been thinking - ringwear 14:37:42 05/28/12 (1)
- RE: been thinking - coffee-phil 15:56:14 05/28/12 (0)
- RE: "Real Mono" RPX shootout with stereo cartridges - John Elison 13:37:47 05/25/12 (0)
- ""true mono" zealots and those who acknowledge the validity of vector mathematics" - elix 12:38:52 05/25/12 (7)
- What Makes You Think He's Trolling? - Rubbersoul-1 13:56:11 05/25/12 (6)
- RE: What Makes You Think He's Trolling? - elix 23:00:27 05/25/12 (1)
- RE: What Makes You Think He's Trolling? - coffee-phil 16:21:18 05/26/12 (0)
- RE: What Makes You Think He's Trolling? - firstname.lastname@example.org 15:44:02 05/25/12 (3)Follow Ups
- RE: Peggy Lee 78s! - coffee-phil 15:39:07 05/26/12 (0)