Welcome Licorice Pizza (LP) lovers! Setup guides and Vinyl FAQ.
In Reply to: RE: SME 309 tonearm - website discrepancy? posted by misterharrison on May 23, 2012 at 08:36:20:
You just need the outline of the tonearm on the protractor to be exactly parallel with the tonearm itself in order to achieve a perfect alignment. The outline does not need to be directly below the tonearm. It will be directly below the tonearm for a 9.5-mm MHST distance, but it will be slightly off to one side or the other for a different MHST distance. As long as it is perfectly parallel with the tonearm you will get a very accurate alignment with this type of protractor regardless of MHST distance.
The two most important points of any alignment are the alignment null-points. The SME protractor will get you there as accurately as any other kind of protractor. Of course, you are aligning the tonearm only. Therefore, you still need to be sure the cartridge is aligned perfectly in the headshell and that the cantilever is perfectly aligned in the cartridge body. If you are unsure of either and you want to align the cantilever, you need to use a different type of protractor.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - SME 309 tonearm - website discrepancy? - misterharrison 02:58:30 05/23/12 (14)
- Maybe this... - tketcham 10:14:58 05/24/12 (6)
- RE: Maybe this... - John Elison 20:07:45 05/24/12 (5)
- RE: SME 309 tonearm - website discrepancy? - misterharrison 08:36:20 05/23/12 (3)
- RE: SME 309 tonearm - website discrepancy? - John Elison 08:53:48 05/23/12 (2)
- RE: SME 309 tonearm - website discrepancy? - John Elison 08:25:58 05/23/12 (0)
- RE: SME 309 tonearm - website discrepancy? - misterharrison 04:12:48 05/23/12 (1)
- RE: SME 309 tonearm - website discrepancy? - John Elison 07:49:33 05/23/12 (0)