Tweaks for systems, rooms and Do It Yourself (DIY) help. FAQ.
In Reply to: RE: No, resistors are not directional. nt posted by pixelphoto on June 27, 2012 at 23:25:29:
Most cheaper barrel type resistors have a surface film cut to the right resistance theu grooving.
Vishay makes many types of resistors under various brands that it acquired. The best way to see if there is directionality is to solder one in and then reverse direction as the last resistor in the output chain and see if you can hear a difference.
I did this to various resistors in a passive attentuator and heard differences.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Resistors - pixelphoto 18:24:46 06/27/12 (21)
- RE: Resistors - hennfarm 11:17:27 07/04/12 (1)
- RE: Resistors - pixelphoto 20:15:11 07/04/12 (0)
- RE: Resistor Directionality - Jon Risch 13:48:00 07/02/12 (1)
- RE: Resistor Directionality - pixelphoto 14:30:53 07/02/12 (0)
- Not in my experience, even vishay bulk foils. - Timbo in Oz 19:10:10 06/30/12 (0)
- No, resistors are not directional. nt - Mr. Dick Hertz 19:32:31 06/27/12 (15)
- Considering that a fuse (extremely thin piece of metal) is clearly directional,... - carcass93 20:17:59 06/28/12 (9)
- Perhaps you could direct me to some reliable documentation... - Mr. Dick Hertz 20:35:36 06/28/12 (8)
- RE: Perhaps you could direct me to some reliable documentation... - fmak 22:14:34 06/28/12 (7)
- RE: Perhaps you could direct me to some reliable documentation... - Bom 08:28:20 07/16/12 (0)
- Anecdotal "evidence" is what I'm trying to get away from. - Mr. Dick Hertz 07:14:20 06/29/12 (5)
- I always used the color codes as a consistent indicator but never really did any trial both ways. nt - Norm 17:54:46 06/29/12 (3)
- So if there is anything to this directionality issue... - Mr. Dick Hertz 20:18:51 06/29/12 (2)
- Yes, I guess I'm just compulsive. But since I don't really know the direction, it probably is random. - Norm 06:47:34 07/01/12 (0)
- RE: So if there is anything to this directionality issue... - geoffkait 17:41:54 06/30/12 (0)
- Believe - fmak 11:08:50 06/29/12 (0)
- RE: No, resistors are not directional. nt - fmak 21:55:46 06/27/12 (4)Follow Ups
- RE: No, resistors are not directional. nt - fmak 02:20:32 06/28/12 (0)