Tweaks for systems, rooms and Do It Yourself (DIY) help. FAQ.
Model: Ground Enhancer Category: Accessory Suggested Retail Price: $30.00 Description: Ground-enhancement tweak Manufacturer URL: EVS - Electronic Visionary Systems
Review by Quint on November 04, 2010 at 14:08:47
IP Address: 18.104.22.168
Add Your Review
for the Ground EnhancerEven though Iâ€™m a self-confessed audio tweakerâ€"sometimes to my detrimentâ€"I am capable of drawing a line in the sand . . . occasionally. One of the few times I was able to draw said line was when Audioprism released its controversial Ground Control grounding tweak. Even though it looked like a little piece of wire under a cotton jacket that attached to the negative terminals of oneâ€™s speakers, I was curious enough to audition a pair on my Definitive Technology Mythos STSâ€™s.
That audition didnâ€™t go particularly well. At times I thought I could maybe hear a slight improvement in overall dimensionality, but I couldnâ€™t consistently hear that difference, so I discounted it. Other than that, the Ground Control did nothing my ears could discern, so I wound up returning it and dismissing it and similar tweaks as snake oil.
Enter tweaker supreme Ric Schultz and his company, Electronic Visionary Systsems (EVS). Ricâ€™s work speaks for itself, so I wonâ€™t go into detail about his accomplishments, other than to say he is a respected member of a bunch of different audio forums, including this one. Ric now offers a device called the Ground Enhancer (GE), which bears a similarity to Audioprismâ€™s Ground Control. Iâ€™ll let other, more tech-savvy minded folks get into the technical nitty gritty about how they differ, but the one major visual difference that I notice is that the Ground Control uses spade terminations, whereas the GR uses simple bare wire that wraps around the negative binding posts of oneâ€™s speakers. This, in theory at least, should give the GE an advantage over the Ground Control.
Donâ€™t ask me how devices like this work, or exactly why I gave Ricâ€™s GEs a shot after my experience with the Ground Controls, but Iâ€™m glad I have an open mind about these things. At $30/pair, the GEs are a minor expense for many audiophiles, so I decided to take the plunge and check them out, fully expecting to take advantage of Ricâ€™s 30-day money-back guarantee.
I wound up not exercising that option. After a settling-down period of a few hours, I started to realize that these things were pretty special. I used just two of my most familiar discsâ€"Badfingerâ€™s No Dice and Dire Straitsâ€™ eponymous debutâ€"for evaluation. With the GEs attached to the negative posts of my Definitives, the music adopted a weight and vividness that startled me. From the opening bars of Badfingerâ€™s â€śI Canâ€™t Take It,â€ť guitars popped and snarled and bass throbbed like I hadnâ€™t heard before in my second system. It wasnâ€™t on the scale of a component change, certainly, but the improvements in dimensionality, rhythmic force, and soundstage focus were eye-opening. On the Dire Straits discâ€"especially on the bass-heavy opening of â€śWater of Loveâ€ťâ€"the low end was audibly tighter and more powerful, and Mark Knopflerâ€™s usually hazy vocals adopted a focus and dimensionality that left me smiling.
Simply put, the Ground Enhancers have elevated my enjoyment of music at least a full notch or two. Considering their price of $30/pair, what they do borders on the near miraculous. Iâ€™m one of the few people who didnâ€™t hear much if any difference with the Audioprism Ground Controls, so why I heard such a profound difference with a similar product baffles me. But I know what I hear, and EVSâ€™s Ground Enhancers are not being returned. They are very highly and unreservedly recommended. I canâ€™t think of a way to better spend $30 on this hobby.
Product Weakness: None for the price Product Strengths: Improvements in dimensionality, soundstage focus, resolution, and bass tightness/dynamicsAssociated Equipment for this Review:
Amplifier: Coda CSi-B Preamplifier (or None if Integrated): None Sources (CDP/Turntable): Modified Oppo BDP-83SE Speakers: Definitive Technology STS Cables/Interconnects: Jena Labs Music Used (Genre/Selections): Rock Room Size (LxWxH): 24 x 20 x 7 Room Comments/Treatments: Nice blend of absorption and diffusion; all reflective surfaces covered Time Period/Length of Audition: 3 days Other (Power Conditioner etc.): Jena Labs Platinum Type of Audition/Review: Product Owner
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - REVIEW: EVS - Electronic Visionary Systems Ground Enhancer Accessory - Quint 14:08:47 11/04/10 (49)
- RE: REVIEW: EVS - Electronic Visionary Systems Ground Enhancer Accessory - El Flaco 11:38:11 05/09/11 (0)
- RE: REVIEW: EVS - Electronic Visionary Systems Ground Enhancer Accessory - Palustris 12:08:38 11/16/10 (3)
- RE: REVIEW: EVS - Electronic Visionary Systems Ground Enhancer Accessory - maxpower5566 04:26:14 11/20/10 (2)
- RE: REVIEW: EVS - Electronic Visionary Systems Ground Enhancer Accessory - Palustris 08:40:35 11/20/10 (1)
- RE: REVIEW: EVS - Electronic Visionary Systems Ground Enhancer Accessory - rick_m 10:35:52 11/20/10 (0)
- Anyone know if the Pigtails are the same idea? - bartc 11:23:07 11/12/10 (0)
- Attaching them to the terminals of Maggie 1.6qr;s - email@example.com 00:45:02 11/11/10 (1)
- RE: Attaching them to the terminals of Maggie 1.6qr;s - Deaf Ear 10:26:20 11/11/10 (0)
- Beta tester impressions - oeno 09:00:33 11/09/10 (3)
- "as noticeable as turning the light on and off in a dark room" - Deaf Ear 14:16:41 11/09/10 (0)
- "as noticeable as turning the light on and off in a dark room." - musetap 12:02:48 11/09/10 (0)
- RE: Beta tester impressions - drumsgreg 10:33:38 11/09/10 (0)
- EVS Ground Enhancer and RF speaker filters??? - fastcat95 17:22:19 11/08/10 (9)
- Yes, I use both tweaks, DIYed, plus others - bartc 20:43:34 11/08/10 (8)
- RE: Yes, I use both tweaks, DIYed, plus others - Oddeophile 11:43:44 11/12/10 (5)
- Yes - bartc 15:14:50 11/12/10 (4)
- RE: Yes, I use both tweaks, DIYed, plus others - Oddeophile 15:09:34 11/09/10 (1)
- El Linko... - musetap 08:21:33 11/10/10 (0)
- my impressions, and a ? for other users - rhyno 20:33:12 11/05/10 (2)
- RE: my impressions, and a ? for other users - acres verde 11:52:28 11/06/10 (0)
- I just ordered a second set for the amp end . . . - Quint 09:53:15 11/06/10 (0)
- RE: REVIEW: EVS - Electronic Visionary Systems Ground Enhancer Accessory - ozzyboy 10:23:48 11/05/10 (0)
- Don't know why - bartc 15:53:20 11/04/10 (21)
- Where can we find the clone recipe? - firstname.lastname@example.org 08:43:52 11/05/10 (20)
- In this thread on DIYaudio.com - bartc 08:53:18 11/05/10 (19)
- RE: In this thread on DIYaudio.com - gbehappy2 08:59:42 11/12/10 (6)
- Hmmm, must have missed that one! - bartc 11:21:41 11/12/10 (5)
- RE: Hmmm, must have missed that one! - gbehappy2 15:23:03 11/12/10 (4)
- I ordered two pair from EVS - email@example.com 08:27:04 11/07/10 (2)
- RE: In this thread on DIYaudio.com - stvnharr 06:06:18 11/07/10 (1)
- Thanks, that does answer all of the questions - firstname.lastname@example.org 12:34:58 11/08/10 (0)
- That is really interesting - email@example.com 15:06:52 11/05/10 (1)
- Indeed he is! - bartc 17:33:24 11/05/10 (0)
- Thanks - firstname.lastname@example.org 14:14:58 11/05/10 (4)
- Ric I rolled my own with some stranded wire I had... - theob 06:02:29 11/09/10 (3)
- RE: Ric I rolled my own with some stranded wire I had... - Rob F 12:40:07 11/09/10 (0)
- Theo, you should have said something about this ... - email@example.com 11:41:36 11/09/10 (1)
- RE: Theo, you should have said something about this ... - theob 15:58:31 11/09/10 (0)
- Tweaker extraordinaire - firstname.lastname@example.org 14:26:42 11/04/10 (0)