Tweaks for systems, rooms and Do It Yourself (DIY) help. FAQ.
Finding that my Tripplite surge suppressors somewhat strangle the sound, I fearlessly eliminated those parts of the circuits that looked offensive, and re-wired with heavier guage solid core copper wiring.
Models : Isobar Ultra-4 & Isobar IBR-12 rackmount
Removed : Ferrite core wirewound chokes, circuit breakers, switches, and all alluminum wire and/or 'crimp' slider connections
Added : Hubbel plugs, solidcore mains feed, secondary ground conductor ( feeding isolated ground digital duplex ), hospital grade iso-ground duplex (digital only), solid core jumpers to eliminate any area where current was carried solely by the circuit board's solder/copper traces.
I'm confident about overcurrent protection-- eliminating breaker. Not enough load amperage even in worst case to trip 15A breaker. These units supply front end only, no amps. Also fine with secondary ground for the digital side, as this adds up to a star-ground scheme.
The result is- the sound opened up, doesn't sound constricted or strangled, and the high freq. response is cleaner. (I think there are uhf and vhf filters, which I kept).
My question is, what happens with the choke removal ? I've left in the thermal fuse thing, the MOV's and filters. Will these now be subject to rapid deterioration, no longer being downstream of the chokes ?
Essentially, have I created what will rapidly become a pair of over-wired power strips ?
Thanks for any thoughts, JD
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - what am I really achieving here ? - J.D. 20:13:35 04/01/00 (7)
- Re: what am I really achieving here ? - Jon Risch 20:24:14 04/01/00 (6)
- Re: what am I really achieving here ? - J.D. 20:54:45 04/01/00 (5)
- Re: what am I really achieving here ? - john curl 14:03:37 04/04/00 (2)
- Re: what am I really achieving here ? - Jon Risch 18:48:29 04/04/00 (1)
- Re: what am I really achieving here ? - john vutl 13:59:34 04/05/00 (0)
- Re: what am I really achieving here ? - Jon Risch 10:12:14 04/02/00 (1)
- Re: what am I really achieving here ? - J.D. 13:23:42 04/02/00 (0)
You can not post to an archived thread.