In Reply to: Bose 901 help w. basics posted by email@example.com on August 1, 2012 at 00:23:01:
Which version of the 901's are you talking about? The later series are more efficient than the original version.
Back around 1969 or 1970 (before I knew better) I bought a pair of the first series of the 901's. This was around the time that Bose initially introduced them. At the same time I bought a McIntosh C28 preamp and a 2105 power amp with which to drive the 901's. All of this gear was new, purchased from an authorized B&M dealer. People are not kidding when they say that these speakers are power hungry. They ate up the 105 wpc from the 2105 like it was nothing. In fact, I blew up both the left and the right channels of this sturdy amplifier (each one on seperate occasions) and had to ship it to Binghampton for warranty repairs each time. During the down time I used a new Dynaco Stereo 80 that I had laying around to power the 901's so I could listen to my system. That 40 wpc just didn't cut it as far as powering these speakers. I kept the 901's for another year before giving up on them.
In my experience 100 wpc would be considered the bare minimum power needed for the first series 901's, and if I were to try them again I would begin with 200 wpc.
Just my opinion, but based on real world experience.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Bose 901 help w. basics - firstname.lastname@example.org 00:23:01 08/01/12 (13)
- RE: Bose 901 help w. basics - Bruce from DC 15:46:58 08/07/12 (0)
- RE: Bose 901 help w. basics - email@example.com 06:49:59 08/02/12 (0)
- RE: Bose 901 help w. basics - Inmate51 21:26:35 08/01/12 (0)
- RE: Bose 901 help w. basics - firstname.lastname@example.org 18:55:16 08/01/12 (0)
- RE: Bose 901 help w. basics - Bill Way 14:48:35 08/01/12 (0)
- RE: Bose 901 help w. basics - abs1 14:41:48 08/01/12 (2)
- RE: Bose 901 help w. basics - email@example.com 09:30:14 08/02/12 (1)
- RE: Bose 901 help w. basics - abs1 13:37:45 08/02/12 (0)
- Or, some KEFs on Agon... - rlw 10:02:09 08/01/12 (0)
- Many will tell you forget the 901 option... - rlw 09:43:51 08/01/12 (2)
- I think the 901s are kind of fun to listen to once in awhile. - volunteer 14:13:26 08/01/12 (0)
- As I mentioned... - rlw 09:46:17 08/01/12 (0)
- RE: Bose 901 help w. basics. Serious inquiry. - firstname.lastname@example.org 07:36:04 08/01/12 (0)