Model: VSM-Master Category: Speakers Suggested Retail Price: $15,000 Description: Floor Standing 2 way Manufacturer URL: Merlin Music Inc.
Review by JamesV on June 17, 2012 at 11:41:10
IP Address: 188.8.131.52
Add Your Review
for the VSM-MasterHow do you review or describe speakers to others when we are not sure we even hear the same. What we see is a common topic often discussed. But how something sounds is not commonly described in detail.
As a musician for almost 50 years and an audiophile for 30, this has often come to my attention. But we call ourselves audiophiles because we have, hopefully, trained our ears to hear differences as others see differences.
So here is where I can start to explain my own experience of listening to others given my own extensive training. Having spent countless hours playing drums in every situation from classical to rock to small rooms to large concert venues. In addition, I've spent too many hours to count in studio situations many of which are just a faint memory. I hope this background gives me some credibility when it comes to evaluating reproduced sound. Which, btw, can NEVER equal live music. The goal is to get as close as possible?obviously.
This description (review) is of a speaker. A speaker that has evolved based on a trained ear that desired more. For the seeing crowd, wanted a clearer picture. This speaker or picture has now reached True HD and 3D.
I started with the Merlin VSM-M and have ridden the upgrade train. Each time the picture got clearer. Now owning the final version created through an evolving process, the Master VSM, I'm seeing the best picture I've ever seen. The closes to live music I've experienced. Very close to hearing that "first playback" in the studio. The Merlin VSM Master is a speaker that behaves like an instrument. It has tonality like a Martin guitar or a set of DW drums. Each make of drums sounds different. As do each speaker make. You know when you hear an instruments tone that fits your ear. These speakers fit my ear. They have a sense of an additional dimension with soul and warmth, resolution and sound staging to spare. Nothing bright and zero fatigue. Listening is pure joy and can go on for hours. The difference between playing a set of overseas knock-off drums or the real thing. There is a difference and IMHO it is big and if your ears are trained, worth every penny. So if you care enough about music to understand the subtle differences of instruments and I'm referring to the maker of the instrument, then you really ought to experience a true instrument, the Merlin Master VSM.
Product Weakness: 35hz and down. Product Strengths: They reproduce music accurately<br>Associated Equipment for this Review:
Amplifier: ARC VS115 (REF 75 on order) Preamplifier (or None if Integrated): ARC LS27 Sources (CDP/Turntable): ARC DAC8 - Mac Mini etc Speakers: Merlin Master Cables/Interconnects: Cardas Clear and Audience au24 Music Used (Genre/Selections): Progressive/alternative rock Room Size (LxWxH): 18 x 15 x 10 Room Comments/Treatments: treated room Time Period/Length of Audition: 2 months Type of Audition/Review: Product Owner
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - REVIEW: Merlin Music Inc. VSM-Master Speakers - JamesV 11:41:10 06/17/12 (42)
- RE: REVIEW: Merlin Music Inc. VSM-Master Speakers - farmdoc 12:08:11 09/09/12 (0)
- RE: REVIEW: Merlin Music Inc. VSM-Master Speakers - Stingray1001 15:48:28 09/07/12 (0)
- RE: (strong)REVIEW: Merlin Music Inc. VSM-Master Speakers(/strong) - Goodcaptain 15:53:00 09/06/12 (0)
- RE: REVIEW: Merlin Music Inc. VSM-Master Speakers - GEO 20:03:15 06/18/12 (2)
- "Been a while since I have checked this forum....." - agattu 00:58:27 06/22/12 (0)
- RE: REVIEW: Merlin Music Inc. VSM-Master Speakers - Abrown50 15:07:38 06/21/12 (0)
- An articulate review. Thanks. - Audio Snob 05:22:48 06/18/12 (1)
- RE: An articulate review. Thanks. - bobapalkovic 13:05:48 06/18/12 (0)
- RE: REVIEW: Merlin Music Inc. VSM-Master Speakers - middleground 18:33:23 06/17/12 (0)
- RE: REVIEW: Merlin Music Inc. VSM-Master Speakers - mt10425 12:12:54 06/17/12 (32)
- RE: REVIEW: Merlin Music Inc. VSM-Master Speakers - Gravetones 02:55:50 06/26/12 (0)
- Regarding upgrades... - jmimac351 18:43:24 06/23/12 (1)
- RE: Regarding upgrades... - Valvulator 11:39:56 09/27/12 (0)
- RE: They are greater 'injustices' in this industry - $14,000 cable? - Eldragon@gmx.com 10:03:48 06/21/12 (0)
- RE: REVIEW: Merlin Music Inc. VSM-Master Speakers - email@example.com 20:54:41 06/20/12 (1)
- RE: REVIEW: Merlin Music Inc. VSM-Master Speakers - Abrown50 14:28:24 06/21/12 (0)
- RE: REVIEW: Merlin Music Inc. VSM-Master Speakers - Magpie 18:32:17 06/19/12 (0)
- RE: REVIEW: Merlin Music Inc. VSM-Master Speakers - joneill 15:29:20 06/19/12 (4)
- RE: not quite right . . . - Hi-Fi Nut 01:08:42 06/21/12 (3)
- RE: REVIEW: Merlin Music Inc. VSM-Master Speakers - abrown50 21:47:23 06/18/12 (10)
- RE: REVIEW: Merlin Music Inc. VSM-Master Speakers - mls-stl 07:27:08 06/19/12 (9)
- RE: REVIEW: Merlin Music Inc. VSM-Master Speakers - egidius 16:24:03 06/20/12 (0)
- RE: REVIEW: Merlin Music Inc. VSM-Master Speakers - bobbyapalkovic 09:28:56 06/19/12 (6)
- RE: REVIEW: Merlin Music Inc. VSM-Master Speakers - mls-stl 17:29:10 06/19/12 (1)
- RE: REVIEW: Merlin Music Inc. VSM-Master Speakers - Bobby Palkovic 19:16:27 06/19/12 (0)
- You have a lot of support here - mt10425 11:21:19 06/19/12 (3)
- Well written and explained - mt10425 08:55:32 06/19/12 (0)
- Curious follow-up commentary - JayG 16:52:41 06/17/12 (6)
- RE: Curious follow-up commentary - Presto 10:11:53 06/19/12 (0)
- RE: Curious follow-up commentary - mt10425 17:03:42 06/17/12 (4)
- LOL! "I'll work w/you." Months later, you're stuck, Stockholm Syndrome kicks in. But some swear by 'em. - tinear 15:29:19 06/17/12 (1)
- "if it sounds way too bright, it's the speakers." - JoshT 21:22:17 06/17/12 (0)