my little Chinese stole the show. I finally got around to trying the 300Bs on the Tannoys on Monday. I made the usual rough hookup as you can see, the mono blocs played those big boys to good levels from top to bottom.
I didn't play any hard rock music, I stuck to jazz. The bass was pretty good, but I did not feel as comfortable driving them as hard as with the solid state.
However, what really amazes me is my little Dared MP-7 SET amp from the office system. I decided to try it on the Tannoys today to see how it would do, with its 6 watts output from new JJ 6L6gc I installed a few months ago.
Well let me tell you, it just filled the room with music, not as dymanic and deep as the 300Bs but the midrange and top end sounds so relaxed and sweet, so smooth and refined, I could not stop listening.
I played mostly Miles Davis on vinyl and it was to die for. This was with basic crappy cables, with the mid-fi HT vinyl source. A vintage Kenwood KD750 direct drive with a Elac cartridge, feeding a AES PH1 phono stage built from kit. That little amp certainly has some finesse that the 300Bs don't have and these Tannoys certainly shows it up.
I think I have some work to do, my speaker journey may have ended, but the amp journey continues.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - The 300Bs drives the Tannoys DC10Ts nicely.....but... - ABliss 20:17:30 05/30/12 (10)
- Pentode. - RC Daniel 14:03:40 06/01/12 (3)
- Great answer.... - onemug 07:40:55 06/04/12 (0)
- Perhaps, but Triton and Jota are atypical, e.g., - Jay Buridan 08:55:03 06/02/12 (1)
- RE: Perhaps, but Triton and Jota are atypical, e.g., - RC Daniel 15:28:57 06/02/12 (0)
- Wavelength Triton or Art Audio Jota will knock your socks off - Jay Buridan 08:12:26 05/31/12 (1)
- I had the best luck with Audio Valve - Kloss 13:24:11 05/31/12 (0)
- RE: The 300Bs drives the Tannoys DC10Ts nicely.....but... - Rick58 21:50:02 05/30/12 (3)
- RE: The 300Bs drives the Tannoys DC10Ts nicely.....but... - ABliss 08:08:36 05/31/12 (2)
- RE: The 300Bs drives the Tannoys DC10Ts nicely.....but... - Rick58 09:54:13 05/31/12 (1)
- ZEN Torii will save you money and make you smile! - Douger 15:58:27 06/06/12 (0)