Home Speaker Asylum

General speaker questions for audio and home theater.

Is old Polk better than newer Polk? (Monitor 10 era)

Is it true that Polk Audio was a true high end speaker company back in the 70's and 80's, before they went 'mass consumer'? Someone told me this recently.

I had an old pair of Polk Audio studio 'Monitor 10B' speakers (in mint condition) stored in a temp controlled enviornment (wrapped in foam in my furnished basement) for over 10 years. I just fired them up this morning, and OH MY GOD do they sound great! I had put them in storage when I got Magnepans, but listening to them today, I am in a state of audio shock at how great they sound! Maybe a tad bright (which I like), but very revealing and well balanced and non-fatiguing overall. I am leaving them out to savor (switch back and forth from MG12's to Monitor 10's from time to time) from here on in. I can't believe that the Monitor 10 is a 'dated' design, given it's premium sound capabilities.

Anyone else own these?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - Is old Polk better than newer Polk? (Monitor 10 era) - 6 Meters DX 10:27:53 11/05/09 (17)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.