In Reply to: Re: How much would you.... posted by Silver on August 30, 1999 at 21:02:00:
while many tube-o-philes may opt for 604A~C but IMHO 604D isn't so bad at all. For 350 a pair in good condition my guess is that it's definitely worth trying.
Bryan F>Remember though , in the world of Flea powered SE amp it's not the money you spent on buying something exotic or pricy new stuff like speakers to match your amp, in fact many tube freaks who go into 2A3, PX-25 , 300B or 45/VT-52 and even WE 205D "tenis ball" SE amp spend their time in modifying their antique Altec VOTs, Altec 604A~Ds, Tannoy Red/Gold, GoodMans Axiom and even the ever-so-challenging Lowther horns working to their own taste. It's more liek a life-long passion and devotion.
I believe that given the patience and time you can also get 604D sounding just as great as the rest of the 604 series speakers. My personal favourite for Altec 604 series (other than famed 604A/B) will always be an Altec 620J monitor with a 604-8KS from early-80s).
Just my own personal preference ;->
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Altec 604? Found some.... - Bryan F. 20:30:14 08/29/99 (18)
- Re: Altec 604? Found some.... - Thorsten 08:56:18 08/31/99 (11)
- THIELE/SMALL PARAMETERS - Silver 16:56:19 08/31/99 (3)
- Yes but.... - Bryan F. 18:21:23 08/31/99 (1)
- One more link for the 604..... - Bryan F. 18:24:07 08/31/99 (0)
- Re: THIELE/SMALL PARAMETERS - Thorsten 18:19:24 08/31/99 (0)
- Re: Altec 604? Found some.... - Bryan F. 13:36:58 08/31/99 (6)
- Re: Altec 604? Found some.... - Thorsten 15:03:22 08/31/99 (5)
- Needless to say, - Jack G 04:47:36 08/30/99 (4)
- How much would you.... - Bryan F. 16:22:27 08/30/99 (3)
- Get em while they're hot!! - Quest 00:26:44 08/30/99 (0)
- Re: How much would you.... - Quest 21:46:12 08/30/99 (1)
- Re: How much would you.... - Bryan F. 05:31:30 08/31/99 (0)
You can not post to an archived thread.