Picked up my replacement Va Bach Grands yesterday. Came home, set 'em up, fired 'em up just to make sure everything was working properly (at low volume, of course), and went away for an hour or so just to let them warm up a little.
When I came back to give a critical listen I heard a big difference from the original pair that I had returned about 5 hours earlier. The new ones sounded a bit thin and lifeless, just like the original pair did when I fired them up almost a month ago.
The originals were in my system for almost a month and were played at least 2-3 hours a day so they had about 75 hours on them I guess. They were just starting to have that full, rich sound that prompted me to buy them in the first place. I was really enjoying them yesterday morning for about 4 hours.
Now I guess I'll just have to listen for another month again to hear the new ones blossom - well worth the wait IMO! Also, can't wait to hear them with a new set of Eichmann cables I have on order. I think I will wait until the bloom happens to hook the cables up (if I can!) so I can evaluate the differences fairly.
Oh, and as far as speaker break-in is concerned, I'll put my lot in with the believers. Until I learn differently for myself, of course.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Speaker break-in thoughts... - pkats 06:56:47 04/12/07 (39)
- Count me in - Hunt 10:10:15 04/15/07 (0)
- A myth that Mfgs perpetuate because... - hifi heretic 11:55:33 04/14/07 (11)
- If 30 hours of run time assured a better-sounding product upon start-up, rest assured they would do it. - hukkfinn 13:34:57 04/20/07 (0)
- Here's a thought.... - Ozzy 10:06:20 04/15/07 (0)
- its not a myth breakin is not the same for every transducer - Kloss 06:26:58 04/15/07 (0)
- Your reasoning and experiment are faulty - madisonears 16:02:40 04/14/07 (7)
- I run in loudspeakers for 100 hours - Kloss 06:35:48 04/15/07 (0)
- Agreed - Craiger56 17:24:29 04/14/07 (2)
- Re: Your reasoning and experiment are faulty - hifi heretic 16:58:43 04/14/07 (2)
- There's no converting a heretic, but here goes... - madisonears 19:01:21 04/14/07 (0)
- Gallo was REASONABLY honest about break-in requirements of their Ref 3s. - Dave Pogue 17:18:47 04/14/07 (0)
- I keep waiting for someone to make some before and after recordings. - Guth 18:11:37 04/12/07 (0)
- No question about it... - Jimmy C. 15:24:38 04/12/07 (0)
- Von Schweikert Goes One Step Further .... - ka7niq 14:10:21 04/12/07 (0)
- Here's the GR Research data.... - jonbee 12:17:06 04/12/07 (10)
- Dumbest test ever! (10 seconds break in ... compared with 20 hours break-in!) - Richard BassNut Greene 07:31:21 04/13/07 (9)
- Really? - Danny 10:55:32 04/14/07 (2)
- Changes in driver parameters only SUGGEST changes in frequency response that COULD be audible by SOME people - Richard BassNut Greene 07:34:20 04/17/07 (1)
- Hilarious - Danny 16:28:39 04/18/07 (0)
- I think you should read the whole thing... - jonbee 08:15:40 04/13/07 (5)
- I read the whole thing... - Guth 11:23:22 04/13/07 (4)
- Here's the connection: the electrical parameters interact with the xovers... - jonbee 13:00:32 04/13/07 (3)
- Re: Here's the connection: the electrical parameters interact with the xovers... - Guth 13:59:01 04/13/07 (2)
- Re: Speaker break-in thoughts... - Craiger56 11:08:43 04/12/07 (0)
- Re: Speaker break-in thoughts... - middleground 09:55:28 04/12/07 (0)
- This topic has beeen beaten to death here... - jonbee 09:08:16 04/12/07 (0)
- Speaker break-in takes 10 minutes if not already done at the factory during quality control testing - Richard BassNut Greene 07:47:05 04/12/07 (8)
- No. - markrohr 04:13:38 04/13/07 (0)
- You obviously haven't purchased a new pair of Gallo Nuc Ref 3s - David S. 15:12:38 04/12/07 (1)
- That's for sure. - Dave Pogue 14:54:11 04/14/07 (0)
- Re: - gentlegiantfan 12:31:56 04/12/07 (0)
- Your comments on the GR research data posted above??(nt) - jonbee 12:20:34 04/12/07 (0)
- I've gone from saying that something sounds "musical" to just "pleasing", at least to my ears... nt - Dman 08:12:41 04/12/07 (0)
- Re: Speaker break-in takes 10 minutes if not already done at the factory during quality control testing - email@example.com 08:11:56 04/12/07 (1)
- Didn't want to start another war here... - pkats 14:11:57 04/12/07 (0)
You can not post to an archived thread.